PDA

View Full Version : Remote Desktop Question

caba1
Jul 16, 2011, 12:55 AM
I need some help. I have a macbook air 13 inch and am running windows 7 professional on it via VMWare Fusion. I want to get an iPad and access a program on the windows 7 to take my patient notes on. Is this possible and if so what do I need to do? I don't know if it matters, but the iPad will be in the same room/office as the macbook air.

Thanks

SandboxGeneral
Jul 16, 2011, 12:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Look for Team Viewer, it's a remote desktop app and it also works on iPad. Best part is, it's free!

caba1
Jul 16, 2011, 01:17 AM
Will that allow me to enter data in the program on the windows 7 and save it etc?

Marli
Jul 16, 2011, 01:22 AM
This is the best I have found for actually using it and being productive

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/itap-rdp-remote-desktop-for/id317062064?mt=8

There is a lite version to try before you buy.

You will just have to set up a static IP for the computer you want to access. If you set up a VPN/port forward ETC you will also be able to access from anywhere.

Don Kosak
Jul 16, 2011, 02:26 AM
Yeah, definitely try out any "Lite" version of desktop app before buying. There is a wide range of performance. Some work better for data entry (like you want), some do better at streaming video/audio (but are worse for typing / mousing around).

Also, since your Windows 7 is running under VMWare, you need to make sure VMWare networking is configured properly. Basically you want to setup Windows 7 to share your network, and request an IP address from your router's DHCP. That way, your iPad will be able to directly connect to the Windows 7 VM. By default I think VMWare does a private network that only allows access from the host. (I'd give you a step by step, but I use Parallels for my VMs).

I know a lot of folks who do the same type of thing you're talking about. Once you find a good desktop sharing app, and work out the networking, you'll be good to go.

chrisefaw
Jul 16, 2011, 09:36 AM
This is the best I have found for actually using it and being productive

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/itap-rdp-remote-desktop-for/id317062064?mt=8

There is a lite version to try before you buy.

You will just have to set up a static IP for the computer you want to access. If you set up a VPN/port forward ETC you will also be able to access from anywhere.

I don't see a lite version of this app, help?