PDA

View Full Version : so you can call me Mr. Peanut

joetronic
Apr 6, 2005, 12:57 PM
so about a week ago it felt liek something was in my ear, so I clean them and the feeling goes away. Two days ago the entire side of my face is swolen, and my jaw and ear hurt real bad, like a ear infection or somethign like that. I go the the doctors yesterday and he is doing his normal thing and they looks in my ear and goes "huh, never seen that before" He flushs out with a salien water and gets a long pair of tweezers. He then pulls a hunk of f'n peanut out of my ear. The last time I had peanuts was weeks ago. so some how I had managed to get a peanut in my ear. It stated to rot, and cut the hell out of my ear canal. so now I have a ear infection, and am on all kinds of anti-bionics.

so the purpose of this post is....Have anyone else ever had some strange object where it should have been, and not known how it got there.

Signed,
Mr. Peanut

SFVCyclone
Apr 6, 2005, 01:04 PM
thats pretty nasty, but i think i have one that beats yours, my dads cousin, and i remember this, once had a roach crawl in there and same thing as your peanut, had to have a doctor take it out. :eek:

emw
Apr 6, 2005, 01:04 PM
Well, I can't say that I've ever had an experience quite like that. Makes me wonder how a peanut (or part of one) gets lodged in your ear without your knowing it.

Given your age, I can only assume that there may have been some beverages being consumed at the same time as the peanuts... ;)

clayj
Apr 6, 2005, 01:06 PM
[insert Richard Gere joke here] :eek:

joetronic
Apr 6, 2005, 01:07 PM
Well, I can't say that I've ever had an experience quite like that. Makes me wonder how a peanut (or part of one) gets lodged in your ear without your knowing it.

Given your age, I can only assume that there may have been some beverages being consumed at the same time as the peanuts... ;)

You would think that but nope, I was eating peanuts sitting in the back yard. What I think happened was a piece got stuck on my clothes, and then fell on the couch, then I layed down to read and *sucking sound* in it goes to the depths of my ear. Anyway, the doctor even asked if I wanted to keep it, lol.

emw
Apr 6, 2005, 01:08 PM
thats pretty nasty, but i think i have one that beats yours, my dads cousin, and i remember this, once had a roach crawl in there and same thing as your peanut, had to have a doctor take it out. :eek:Actually, that does remind me. My hair stylist's (yeah, yeah) husband once had a spider take up residence in his ear as well. :eek:

As I recall, it was somewhat difficult to get out of there, as I can imagine the roach was as well.

MongoTheGeek
Apr 6, 2005, 01:12 PM
You would think that but nope, I was eating peanuts sitting in the back yard. What I think happened was a piece got stuck on my clothes, and then fell on the couch, then I layed down to read and *sucking sound* in it goes to the depths of my ear. Anyway, the doctor even asked if I wanted to keep it, lol.

o/~ found a peanut, found a peanut o/~

aricher
Apr 6, 2005, 01:32 PM
and am on all kinds of anti-bionics.
Where can I get some anti-bionics? I have this guy who keeps chasing me.

http://www.rotten.com/library/cryptozoology/bigfoot/bionic_bigfoot_logo.jpg

Seriously though, sorry about your nuts.

rainman::|:|
Apr 6, 2005, 01:33 PM
1. there are many spas that now offer "ear candles" (there's probably a more technical term, but for the purposes of this thread, ear candles is perfectly fine). From what I understand, they're a long candle with a hole running down it, they lay you on your side, put a little saline in your ear, put the base of the candle in your ear, and light it. Now I don't know what keeps the wax from going in your ear, but the smoke and hot air create a convection current that break up and draw CRAP out of your ears... apparently people are absolutely shocked to see the debris, hair, wax, etc in there. As I live in Iowa, the spas around here see farmers occasionally (I don't know either, maybe their wives threaten them), and they're the worst of all... insects galore. *shudder* i've thought about having the ear candles done, but i'm not sure if i could face what's in there.

2. as i write this, i'm home sick from work, my left ear's normal input has been replaced with loud ringing and white noise, and i'm starting to get dizzy... i think during my seizure last week I screwed up my jaw muscle, which is now causing my ear canal to swell... so I feel your ear pain! remember to take all of the antibiotics, not just half the bottle... :)

Raid
Apr 6, 2005, 01:34 PM
I've heard of something similar. Back in University a friends girlfriend (now his wife) was playing volleyball and thought she lost her contact after getting hit on the head. Shortly afterwards (a few days to a week) the same eye started to hurt, but the optometrist said there was nothing in the eye, gives her some antibiotics and sends her on her way. Fast forward a couple of years where she’s at a bar (wearing glasses, not contacts) and this tall guy accidentally elbows her on the back of the head. After she steadies her self from the jolt, she finds that her eye is all blurry (and there’s quite bump growing on her head). Upon going to the washroom to check what’s up, she finds a contact on her eye! :eek:

What she thinks happened was the initial bump from the volleyball pushed the contact lens up to the top of her eye instead of out into the sand. The optometrist missed it be cause they weren’t looking for an obstruction there, and when she got a hard hit from the opposite side of her head it was enough to slide the contact back! Now she was pissed from getting an elbow to the head but glad that she doesn’t have to live with a contact stuck up there forever. :rolleyes:

emw
Apr 6, 2005, 02:11 PM
1. there are many spas that now offer "ear candles" (there's probably a more technical term, but for the purposes of this thread, ear candles is perfectly fine).I've heard of this, and always thought it was a joke. Quack Watch (http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html) appears to agree, although I haven't done much real research myself.

Although I did find an interesting joke link (http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/1252/) to Butt Candles. Not sure having a candle down there would be such a good idea, especially if you'd had, say, Mexican food lately.

Eevee
Apr 6, 2005, 02:15 PM
Are you going to wear a top hat, a tux and carry a cane now Mr. Peanut?

Eevee
Apr 6, 2005, 02:25 PM
Oh...sorry for what happened to you.

Here is Mr. Peanut driving in style!

Doctor Q
Apr 6, 2005, 03:17 PM
I read about a man who had a growth in his gum that turned out to be an unpopped popcorn kernel that got lodged in there, unbeknownst to him, and then got under the skin or was covered, finally resulting in an infection. So movie-watching can be dangerous if you are stuffing in mouthfuls of popcorn. I guess the poor guy was lucky nobody heated him until it popped. :eek:

clayj
Apr 6, 2005, 03:26 PM
Has anyone else noticed the ads at the bottom of this thread? Specifically, the multiple ads for ear candles...

Eevee
Apr 6, 2005, 03:55 PM
Has anyone else noticed the ads at the bottom of this thread? Specifically, the multiple ads for ear candles...

:eek: Yikes :eek: :eek:

James L
Apr 6, 2005, 04:09 PM
I am a paramedic, and I won't even begin to tell you the things I have seen stuck in the human body!

On the topic of roaches in the ear, very common. They often crawl in due to the warmth when the environment is cold.

They can be tough to remove, as bright light and poking at them can make them crawl in further and scratch things up more. One treatment I have seen is to drown them (maybe with mineral oil?), and then remove them when they are dead.

One of the funniest was a person who was eating chinese food in the passenger seat of the car, and put a chopstick through thier cheek when the drive hit something. It sounds cruel to laugh at it, but when I got there and this person is sitting with this chopstick sticking through their cheek the drive was saying "see... I told you that Chinese restaurant was bad for you!"

:D

neut
Apr 6, 2005, 04:57 PM
I've heard of this, and always thought it was a joke. Quack Watch (http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html) appears to agree, although I haven't done much real research myself.

Although I did find an interesting joke link (http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/1252/) to Butt Candles. Not sure having a candle down there would be such a good idea, especially if you'd had, say, Mexican food lately.

it's an old native trick ... people usually write it off as something hippies do.

this reminds me use mine; ear candles that is. :)

pecae | neut

Doctor Q
Apr 6, 2005, 05:11 PM
At least your peanut encounter was temporary, joetronic.

I feel very sorry for people who are severely allergic to peanuts. There's probably a medical name for that, but I didn't look it up. Hypergooberia?

Many airlines are now avoiding giving out peanuts, which helps, but those stories of a schoolkid who got sick after somebody else ate a peanut butter sandwich, or when their parents must avoid all foods with peanut-related ingredients (some of which you don't know are peanut-related) are pretty alarming.

redeye be
Apr 6, 2005, 05:41 PM
We used to ride our bikes to camp in a 2 day biking frenzy. When i was younger (and took the bus with the kids my age) one of the guys biking got a big fly up his nose. They tried, but couldn't get it out with the limited material they had with them (one expects having to fix a tire, but removing a fly from a nose ...).
The poor guy had 3-4 hours left of asphalt grinding. After an hour the fly stopped trying to get out itself, so the last kilometers where more easy. It was quite a show when he turned up on the camp site and all these people started to try and pry, twitch, blow, flow,... the fly out. They did get it out in the end.
How's that for peanuts. ;)

wdlove
Apr 6, 2005, 05:50 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your ear infection joetronic. Just be sure to follow your doctors orders carefully, which includes finishing your course of antibiotics. Please don't stop them because you are feeling better.

A peanut allergy is a serious condition. Can cause many problems because there are foods containing nuts that aren't always listed. Takes constant vigilance, to the point of always having epinephrine available.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1154.html

James L
Apr 6, 2005, 06:34 PM
At least your peanut encounter was temporary, joetronic.

I feel very sorry for people who are severely allergic to peanuts. There's probably a medical name for that, but I didn't look it up. Hypergooberia?

Many airlines are now avoiding giving out peanuts, which helps, but those stories of a schoolkid who got sick after somebody else ate a peanut butter sandwich, or when their parents must avoid all foods with peanut-related ingredients (some of which you don't know are peanut-related) are pretty alarming.

When we are talking about Anaphylaxis (true life threatening allergic reaction), peanuts are one of the worst allergens.

While it is true that some airlines are avoiding peanuts, others are telling people who have this allergy "sorry... we can't guarantee anything, so please fly another airline!"

Phat_Pat
Apr 6, 2005, 07:38 PM
Did the doctor save the peanut?..... that might of sold on eBay or something....

EJBasile
Apr 6, 2005, 07:38 PM
As a doctor I found many things in the Ear when working in the ER. I have found various bugs, rocks, parts of bankets [usually little kids], beads, etc. I don't really know how you don't initally notice something like that but you never know. Rocks, beads, etc often are found in noses too.

I watched a show on TLC on "when medical tools get left behind". There were a few cases of were medical sponges/guase gets left behind and causes infection. Amazing there were to cases were 13-14 inch retracters (basicly a pliable piece of stainless steel, about 2" wide) were forgotten to be removed. Medical sponges I can see how easy it would be to forget, they are white so whey they become bloody they blend in and can move around. But a 14X2 inch peice of stainless steel is just absurd! The results of the doctors errors were horrible, the infections caused life long mental and physical disabilities.

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 6, 2005, 08:01 PM
[insert Richard Gere joke here] :eek:

LOL... another moment to spew Pepsi all over my monitor. (Got to stop drinking anything when I am reading MR). :D

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 6, 2005, 08:03 PM
1. there are many spas that now offer "ear candles" (there's probably a more technical term, but for the purposes of this thread, ear candles is perfectly fine). From what I understand, they're a long candle with a hole running down it, they lay you on your side, put a little saline in your ear, put the base of the candle in your ear, and light it. Now I don't know what keeps the wax from going in your ear, but the smoke and hot air create a convection current that break up and draw CRAP out of your ears... apparently people are absolutely shocked to see the debris, hair, wax, etc in there. As I live in Iowa, the spas around here see farmers occasionally (I don't know either, maybe their wives threaten them), and they're the worst of all... insects galore. *shudder* i've thought about having the ear candles done, but i'm not sure if i could face what's in there.

2. as i write this, i'm home sick from work, my left ear's normal input has been replaced with loud ringing and white noise, and i'm starting to get dizzy... i think during my seizure last week I screwed up my jaw muscle, which is now causing my ear canal to swell... so I feel your ear pain! remember to take all of the antibiotics, not just half the bottle... :)

Interesting idea. Seems to be well based on things that we tend not to think about. :eek:

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 6, 2005, 08:05 PM
I read about a man who had a growth in his gum that turned out to be an unpopped popcorn kernel that got lodged in there, unbeknownst to him, and then got under the skin or was covered, finally resulting in an infection. So movie-watching can be dangerous if you are stuffing in mouthfuls of popcorn. I guess the poor guy was lucky nobody heated him until it popped. :eek:

I have heard of a case of a guy that stepped on broken glass and that piece work it way out to the tip of one of his fingers.

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 6, 2005, 08:07 PM
I am a paramedic, and I won't even begin to tell you the things I have seen stuck in the human body!

Oh, the stories there! Good enough for a separate thread.

Had a friend that was an EMT in NYC, and the stories he would tell. :eek: :D

Nanda Devi
Apr 6, 2005, 10:18 PM
1. there are many spas that now offer "ear candles" (there's probably a more technical term, but for the purposes of this thread, ear candles is perfectly fine). From what I understand, they're a long candle with a hole running down it, they lay you on your side, put a little saline in your ear, put the base of the candle in your ear, and light it.

That's funny, I saw a guy use an ear candle a good nine or 10 years ago and that was the first time I ever heard about them and this is the second time I've ever heard them mentioned. Never could figure out how the heck those things work, but sort of intriguing.... I've got a cold right now with a plugged up ear, and if one of those ear candles could relieve it, it would be great.

Getting back to the foreign object "Mr. Peanut" found in his ear, I had a similar thing happen - my doctor once found an earing back inside my ear canal (one of the little bell-shaped ones). Can't imagine how it got lodged in there, although it is a lot easier to comprehend than a peanut getting in your ear!
:D

Oh, my sister also got a pebble lodged up her nose when she was little, so far that a doctor had to remove it - and this happened on two separate occasions!

killuminati
Apr 7, 2005, 12:33 AM

I have a friend and if he even smells any kind of nut, his throat swells up and suffocates unless someone stabs him in the leg with an epi-pen.

clayj
Apr 7, 2005, 12:39 AM
People with peanut allergies (or similarly lethal allergies) didn't use to survive long enough to reproduce, so the genes responsible for them tended to show up only as a random mutation. Nowadays, people with these types of allergies are being protected from dying, oftentimes by applying draconian measures to others: For example, some school systems have banned students from bringing in peanut butter sandwiches, for fear that an allergic student will somehow be exposed to peanut oil on the hands of another student. (If I couldn't eat PB sandwiches when I was in school, I would have starved.)

And since many of these individuals are surviving into adulthood, there's a good chance that any children they have will ALSO be allergic to peanuts. This is one reason, I believe, why we're seeing more and more people with lethal allergies.

Someone needs to be working on an effective treatment for these types of allergies that doesn't involve emergency injections of epinephrine... maybe a gene therapy or a daily pill that counteracts the allergy.

MongoTheGeek
Apr 7, 2005, 07:51 AM
Oh, the stories there! Good enough for a separate thread.

Had a friend that was an EMT in NYC, and the stories he would tell. :eek: :D

I heard one from a doctor friend about a person who had a large air embolism on the top of their head. It seems they had been using a needle to inject air under the skin in a certain place. Over the course of weeks of doing this a large amount of air built up under the skin and had migrated to the top of his head causing a large squishy spot.

Thomas Veil
Apr 7, 2005, 08:21 AM
Ew. Ew. Ew. :eek:

joetronic
Apr 7, 2005, 10:41 AM
Did the doctor save the peanut?..... that might of sold on eBay or something....

He asked me if I wanted it, but it smelled worse then anything I have ever smelled before in my life, and I have had a dead skunk under my house once for 2 months before we found it.

Eevee
Apr 7, 2005, 11:48 AM
He asked me if I wanted it, but it smelled worse then anything I have ever smelled before in my life, and I have had a dead skunk under my house once for 2 months before we found it.

gross! :eek:

Eevee
Apr 7, 2005, 11:48 AM

Double gross!!! :eek: :eek:

emw
Apr 7, 2005, 12:19 PM
For example, some school systems have banned students from bringing in peanut butter sandwiches, for fear that an allergic student will somehow be exposed to peanut oil on the hands of another student.Yup. We can't bring anything even remotely connected to peanuts into our kids' daycare center. We even had to leave the Snoopy doll outside.