Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
This is the second public set of post report statistics, for the period of Jan 1 to Jun 30 2011. These statistics are calculated based on the reports submitted when alerting the moderators to posts with the report post icon (
report.gif
). They are selected from a wider set of statistics I've produced for the moderators for the last five years; for privacy reasons, we don't release certain statistics such as those that identify individual members.

Statistics for the previous period are here, including Doctor Q's comments on why we keep these stats and how you can help maintain the quality of forum posts.

Here's an overview of the post reports for the first half of 2011, with numbers from the previous six month period in brackets:

• Number of post reports for period: 15360 (15542)
  • Mean per day: 84.9 (84.9)
  • Max per day: 212 (203)
  • Min per day: 30 (23)
  • Percentage of reports that reported the first post in a thread: 41.2% (44.6%)
  • Number of post reporters: 2257 (2346)
  • Number of reported members: 7617 (7178)
  • Number of posts reported: 11832 (12354)
  • Number of threads reported: 8966 (9345)

Overview

There were 15360 reported posts in the first half of 2011, with an increasing trend over the six month period. The day with the most reports was May 23 (212), although the all time record is still 251, on November 25, 2009. About 1% of posts were reported, and 8.4% of threads had at least one post reported. The graph below shows the trend over the last five years.

attachment.php

Day of week

Mondays had the most reports (total 2602). Monday to Thursday had little variation between them, with Friday quite a bit lower (1927) and weekends even quieter (1709 on Saturdays, 1637 on Sundays). Weekdays had 44% more reports than weekend days, or 51% if you exclude Fridays. This compares to 36% in the previous six month period.

attachment.php

Time of day

The busiest times for us were between 7 AM and 4 PM Pacific time it was busiest from about 7 AM to 5 PM Pacific time. The quietest time (1-2 AM) had 43% of the reports of the busiest (9-10 AM), compared to 55% last time. These numbers and those above are likely to reflect general forum activity.

attachment.php

Post reporters

There were 2257 post reporters in the first half of 2011. Of these people, 50% reported just one post, while 91% made fewer than 10 reports each. The top 10% of reporters made 72% of all reports, with the top ten reporters alone making 28% of all reports - an average of 430 each.

attachment.php

Reported forums

The iPhone forum again had the most reports, even though it had over 700 fewer than in the previous six months. On the over hand, the iPad forum had a huge increase, going from 678 reports last time to 1530 this time. The top 20 forums by number of post reports were as follows, with the change from the previous period given.

Code:
Rank	Delta	Forum					Reports
----	-----	---------------------------------------	-------
1	n/c	iPhone					2287
2	n/c	MacRumors.com News Discussion		1822
3	+2	iPad					1530
4	n/c	MacBook Pro				1186
5	-2	Community Discussion			889
6	+19	Mac Applications and Mac App Store	560
7	-1	iPhone Hacks				459
8	+7	iMac					406
9	+1	Politics, Religion, Social Issues	377
10	+4	Mac Basics and Help			331
11	-4	iPhone Accessories			318
12	+7	iPhone/iPad Programming			316
13	-2	Buying Tips and Advice			300
14	+9	Mac Programming				282
15	+7	iPad Accessories			274
16	-4	Picture Gallery				267
17	+3	Mac OS X				256
18	-5	MacBook Air				246
19	+5	Marketplace				239
20	-2	iPhone and iPod touch Apps		227

Report reasons

Moderators deal with a wide range of issues when handling post reports. The graph below shows some of the common issues and how the breakdown has changed over time. Notably, spam is by far the biggest problem. Duplicate and consecutive posts, as a percentage of all reports, have become less of an issue over time, while reports for personal attacks have been increasing.

attachment.php

Reported threads

Some threads, particularly long or controversial ones, have a large number of posts reported. 69% of threads containing a reported post received just one report, while 71 threads received more than 10 reports. The highest number of reports for a thread was 76, for Steve Jobs Taking New Medical Leave of Absence. The all time record remains at 110.

Attachments

• dayofweek.png
    dayofweek.png
    20 KB · Views: 450
  • hours.png
    hours.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 464
  • months.png
    months.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 470
  • reasons.png
    reasons.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 475
  • reporters.png
    reporters.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 473

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Thanks, HexMonkey, for doing semi-annual statistics gathering and analysis. The information is very useful for our self-assessment and it gives us another chance to remind users that post reports are the key to keeping the forums useful for all members. It's a team effort.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Interesting stats. Possibly a contender for Doctor Q in the graph department.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Interesting, I'm a little surprised the PRSI isn't higher. But I didn't realize there where so many post reports.
Edit: any statistics available of how many of the post reports where different people reporting the same post?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
As a moderator, I just want to say thank you to all of the members who take the time to report posts. It certainly makes out job easier. The forums wouldn't be as good without your participation in both posting and reporting. Thanks for making this not just a forum, but a community.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I can understand not wanting to publicly name the reporters, but could those of us who report spam find out how we stack up against the totals?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I can understand not wanting to publicly name the reporters, but could those of us who report spam find out how we stack up against the totals?

I actually would be curious too. If you have time and are ok with letting us know could you do it either in a PM, or I would give you permission to mention it here.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Fascinating stats. Of those reported posts, do we know how many were deleted or altered?

Trying to gauge whether the mods are really earning all that loot or not. :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow! That's a lot of reported posts. Far greater than I would have imagined. I'm also surprised that the PRSI isn't at the top and that the iPhone forum is. What is chief complaint in the iPhone forum, spam or other?

Also, good job to the Mods for all the work you volunteer for. You certainly have your work cut out for you. This forum is a nice place to spend time for me-thank you!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow! That's a lot of reported posts. Far greater than I would have imagined. I'm also surprised that the PRSI isn't at the top and that the iPhone forum is. What is chief complaint in the iPhone forum, spam or other?

Based on the posts I've seen and reported there it seems like there are quite a few personal attacks and trolling in the iPhone vs android threads. I guess a mod could confirm that.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Edit: any statistics available of how many of the post reports where different people reporting the same post?

18% of reported posts received multiple reports. You shouldn't worry about duplicate reports when reporting though; we don't mind multiple reports for the same post, and sometimes when we have a bit of a backlog it can help indicate which are the most urgent to deal with.

Fascinating stats. Of those reported posts, do we know how many were deleted or altered?

Trying to gauge whether the mods are really earning all that loot or not. :)

I don't have those statistics as it would be quite tricky to gather them. There are also times when one post will be reported, which also leads to action on other posts. Every report get reviewed by at least one moderator, and often multiple moderators in cases that aren't clear cut.

Spam and trolling are bigger issues in the iPhone forum than other forums. The graph below compares report reasons in the iPhone forum to all forums.

attachment.php

Attachments

• iPhoneReasons.png
    iPhoneReasons.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Based on the posts I've seen and reported there it seems like there are quite a few personal attacks and trolling in the iPhone vs android threads. I guess a mod could confirm that.

That is true, they often end up pretty heated. I don't have any nice charts but I think I have yet to see an iPhone vs Android thread with zero rule violations. If I feel like swinging my BanAxe™, those threads are on top of my watch list :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.