PDA

View Full Version : Facebook chat becoming Intel-only?

dandeco
Jul 16, 2011, 03:13 PM
Hey, since today I am experiencing problems with the Facebook chat feature. I heard it was changed or something. Now instead of my friend list I just get:

A Faster Way to Message
Just click to start a conversation with the friends you message the most. Your chat availability settings have not changed.

There's no "Learn More" or "Try Now" button, so I can't access my friend chat list anymore. I also tried clicking on the message but nothing happens!

I am guessing that Facebook is now making the chat feature only compatible with Intel Macs (i.e. 10.6 or higher), thus leaving Leopard or PowerPC users out in the cold. Anyone else having this problem? I don't want to have to go and buy a new Mac or even *gasp!* go back to Windows just to chat on Facebook!
(I DO want a new MacBook Pro, but I currently cannot afford one, and I want to wait until Mac OS X Lion comes out to buy an Intel Mac.)
This is starting to get ridiculous. First Apple's Mac App Store is Intel-only, FireFox 4 doesn't work on PowerPC Macs, and now this.

burnout8488
Jul 16, 2011, 03:15 PM
Today is the first day of the updated chat feature I believe, it doesn't work for me either.

Probably just down. Try later tonight or tomorrow.

fat jez
Jul 16, 2011, 03:40 PM
It's doing the same to me in Firefox on both OSX and Windows 7 :mad:

brycemason
Jul 16, 2011, 05:12 PM
Works great for me on PPC TenFourFox 5.0

countem
Jul 16, 2011, 07:14 PM
EDIT: Issue resolved. Disregard.

Even though this is years later, I just today started having the same issue while operating a MacBook Pro OS 10.6.8 (Intel Core 2 Duo) with Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.

I can only see the top portion of the message, "A Faster Way to Message
Just click to start a conversation with the friends you message the most. Your chat availability settings have", so I cannot remove the message from my screen.

Hopefully, this will be fixed soon. :)

kevin242
Jul 18, 2011, 09:33 PM
you guys might not know this but if you use AIM or any AIM compatible chat client and you can chat with your Facebook friends.

burnout8488
Jul 18, 2011, 09:52 PM
you guys might not know this but if you use AIM or any AIM compatible chat client and you can chat with your Facebook friends.

Even iChat if you're handy ;) Very cool having it integrated.

zen.state
Jul 19, 2011, 07:37 AM
If you have to use facebook chat then use Adium to get around this limitation. I tried it once and it worked fine. The names of facebook friends online comes up in your buddy list.

Download Adium (http://adium.im/)