Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I bought 256mb of ram to upgrade my wallstreet(from newegg), and to my surprise, it only shows up as 128. This happens in both slots. I've read that everyone who have upgraded to the max of 320 have had sucess, could this be a bad/mismarked module?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
andypress said:
I bought 256mb of ram to upgrade my wallstreet(from newegg), and to my surprise, it only shows up as 128. This happens in both slots. I've read that everyone who have upgraded to the max of 320 have had sucess, could this be a bad/mismarked module?

Bad RAM. Run the hardware test CD, but the Wallstreet should hold more RAM than that.

MacTracker reports an actual limit of 512 MB, and Apple's supported limit of 192 MB. But Apple's limit just means that they didn't have any larger amounts of RAM at the time and didn't bother to go back and test it. So you are clear up to 512 MB of RAM.

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Mechcozmo said:
Bad RAM. Run the hardware test CD, but the Wallstreet should hold more RAM than that.

MacTracker reports an actual limit of 512 MB, and Apple's supported limit of 192 MB. But Apple's limit just means that they didn't have any larger amounts of RAM at the time and didn't bother to go back and test it. So you are clear up to 512 MB of RAM.
I don't have a hardware test cd, are there any other programs that would peform such a test?

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2004
I had the same problem with my Wallstreet. I bought to modules of 256MB, both of them were recognised as only 128MB. I'm pretty sure it's because they are modern modules with 8 chips. My guess is that you have one with 8 chips too. You need one with 16.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.