Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackspell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Hello everyone :)

I'm already counting the days and can't wait until I can finally hold the sweet Powerbook in my hands for the first time, so pleeeease help me with some questions that I have ;)

My parents will soon visit some relatives in Los Angeles, so it's a good opportunity for them to buy a powerbook for me, since the prices are significantly lower in the states. We're from germany, by the way...

Now the questions:

1. How long does the shipping take? It will be a standard 12" Superdrive Powerbook, paid with a creditcard. Even though they say they'll ship within a week, the site also says that they could need up to 4-6 weeks. So should I order the book 8 weeks ahead or is 4 weeks enough? How long does it usually take for them to ship a powerbook to LA. Does anyone know?

By the way: I will use an ADC Student Membership, if that makes any difference concerning shipping-time or whatever.

2. Do I have to be present when the packet arrives? That would hardly be possible, since I'll be a few thousand miles away :p Here in germany they often give the packets to neighbours or relatives if one's not at home at that time (or they simply leave it in front of your door......), but I don't know how they handle that in the US. The shipping address would look like

my name
c/o [my relatives name]
address

... do you think that will work? Please notice that the first line of the address will definitely be mine. That can't be helped or changed, because I had to use my own name during the ADC-Registration.

3. Is it okay, if I use a foreign creditcard? The shipping address would be in the US, but the creditcard from germany... I don't know if in that case the billing-address consequently has to be that of the creditcard-owner, though.

I've already asked the ADC staff, they said that it would be no problem to change the shipping-address to an address in the United States, but they don't seem to be sure about the creditcard. One time they said that it's possible and the other time they said it's not. Quite confusing :confused: Does anybody know the answer?

4. (Edit): US Sales Taxes :eek: This is also something that I didn't really understand........ The prices are always displayed without taxes, right? (In germany they always include the sales tax to the price, so we don't have to think about things like these). As far as I know, the sales taxes in LA are 8.25% added to the price shown in the store. When do they add that? Will that be on the bill or will I have to pay that directly to the postman once he arrives? Or will that be done way later?

Thanks a lot for reading :)

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
1) It depends, usually most poeple get their machines within 2 weeks. But i've heard people having to wait as much as 8 weeks. But from what i know, the people who had to wait a long time were not from the states.

2) Someone has to be there to sign for the package. There not going to just leave a $1500 machine sitting on someones porch.

3) Not sure, you might want to call Apple and ask.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
blackspell said:
4. (Edit): US Sales Taxes :eek: This is also something that I didn't really understand........ The prices are always displayed without taxes, right? (In germany they always include the sales tax to the price, so we don't have to think about things like these). As far as I know, the sales taxes in LA are 8.25% added to the price shown in the store. When do they add that? Will that be on the bill or will I have to pay that directly to the postman once he arrives? Or will that be done way later?

Thanks a lot for reading :)

You'll pay it at the store, same time you pay for the PB. It'll be on the bill.

Don't pay the postman/UPS guy/whatever anything. If the German system works anything like the US system, he DOES NOT collect payment.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
If your parents are going to be in LA, just have them buy one at a brick-and-mortar Apple store. If your just getting the standard PB with Superdrive, then any of the Apple Stores in LA should have them in stock. There's like 10 Apple Stores in LA. That way, you won't have to worry about a wait time.

*EDIT* - Just noticed you're going to be using the ADC discount, so you will have to order online.

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
2. It doesn't HAVE to be you to receive the package....do something like what you had stated (c/o) unless of course the Apple site won't let you add a c/o line. If that should be a problem, just send it to the relatives name, so long as they also recognize that it is for you and they agree to send it on. (Ship from Apple, ship to you, extra trip, extra time)

3. The problem I see with ordering one in the US for use in Germany may be the electrical power. Yes, a German credit card in the US might also raise a few concerns. The credit card companies are pretty good about it though.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
If you're getting a stock Powerbook, I also suggest you have your parents visit an Apple store. There are quite a few in Southern California, if I'm not mistaken.

Oops, sorry, I guess that won't work cause you're getting a discount with your membership. You won't have to be at the door to sign for it, anyone can sign for it at that address, or maybe it has to be someone 18 years or older.

The credit card is the only issue, which it may not be. You'll just have to try the credit card, and see if it works. It should work, after all, credit cards are meant to be used around the world. However, I had a friend who tried to use her American credit card to buy a Dell computer in Norway, and they said they can't take American cards (a U.S. company). haha.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
Keep in mind you can always call or email a particular apple store in L.A. and see if they would do it for you if your parents brought them a copy of your schedule and said they were buying it for you. That is how they do it in Dallas, they are very good about that. I recently let my brother in law use my student discount for an ipod, and I was honest with them while we were there....they let me use my discount, and then let him pay for the ipod and take it home.

Apple stores don't like to lose the sale. They will pretty much work with the student discount thing. If you call or email them and set it up beforehand, they would be expecting your parents, and the discount would be waiting. You could even verify the type of payment you could use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.