Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GULCkid

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I will be in law school in the fall, and, thankfully, I'm going to one that lets you use a mac for exams. I need a bag, though.

I will have to carry tons of books + my 15" PB all day, all over DC (I'll be taking classes on 2 campuses), and I'm afraid that a messenger bag might hurt my shoulder/back after long periods of time.

Your thoughts?

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
GULCkid said:
I will be in law school in the fall, and, thankfully, I'm going to one that lets you use a mac for exams. I need a bag, though.

I will have to carry tons of books + my 15" PB all day, all over DC (I'll be taking classes on 2 campuses), and I'm afraid that a messenger bag might hurt my shoulder/back after long periods of time.

Your thoughts?
Did you say DC? Me too. I live in Tenleytown, and bike all the way downtown for school (Corcoran School of Art). After class, I bike back uptown. Im on the bike a total of 1-1.5 hours. I use a Timbuktu messenger bag (they also make a special version for laptops). Its wonderful. It holds books, a binder, and my 15" powerbook (it would fit a 17"). The problem is the weight, and when it gets hot. But thats nothing you can avoid. I would assume a backpack would annoy much more if you were walking or biking as the 'straps' strap around your armpits. Plus your back does most of the lugging. With a shoulder bag, its both back and shoulder.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
I hear alot of people in this forum complain about the one strao for that same reason. Id say go for the backpack and evenly distribute the weight.

p.s. Between me and you... I think the messangers are a little dorky. :p

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Rob587 said:
I hear alot of people in this forum complain about the one strao for that same reason. Id say go for the backpack and evenly distribute the weight.

p.s. Between me and you... I think the messangers are a little dorky. :p
If you are a dork, you will look dorky. I mean, how many snoty children running around with mutlicolored backpacks have the privilage of looking cool? none. Its how you wear it. Its who you are. You can wear a suit and look like Gub Bush, or you can wear a suit and look like Tony Montana. You choose.

By the way: If wearing a shoulder bag is dorky, what is a grown man in a business suit wearing a backpack?

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Rob587 said:
but I dont think he's a buisiness man yet... he said that he is still in school, making you silly. :p
Sorry to break it to you, but girls attend school. Im sure, at some point, he would like to pick one up.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I like messenger bags a lot more then backpacks. I got a Thom Bihn "Courier Laptop", and frankly it's only OK. The braincell is nice, but the velcro is getting a bit iffy (only) after almost a year. IMO, it really doesn't hold all that much inside (not a lot of zippered pockets in good places). And the one thing that irks me the most.. The strap.. it doesn't have swivels where the strap connects to the bag, so I'm constantly having to untwist it so it sits comfortably, rather then just putting it on and untwisting it via the swivels. Sure, this probably makes the strap stronger, and sure this is a minor thing, but it really bugs me. But, in the bag's defense, it's pretty darned sturdy. It's been on a lot of trips, both at home and abroad, and it's taken a real beating without much visible wear.

Overall, I'd give this bag a 7 out of 10.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I have the brenthaven backpack for my 15" i don't really carrey alot of stuff in it. I carry my laptop a notebook, and like a accorudian folder thingy. I walked accross my campus the other day with it and i was tired and winded, but maybe its because i don't do much excerise. Anyway it was heavy, but then again, i'm what you would call a skinny/scrony kid.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
OK. Found the link. Here You Go. You will find this bag at the apple store. Try it on, walk around, and get a feel for the bag. There wont be much difference whether its empty or if there is a laptop in it. The bag is sturdy, it doesnt "twist" or anything like that. If you dont like it, ok. But if you do, you can go back home and order one online and customize the colors. They're like $100 and well worth it. Ive had mine for 5 years, nothing broken and washing-machine clean.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
why is it that the targus backpacks VERY rarely get mentioned in these forums. I have one. I used to use it for my ProStar 17" widescreen HUGE desktop replacement... but i got rid of that puppy... and now i use it for my school books and my 12" PB.

Schroedinger

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2004
Baltimore, MD
Have you seen first year case books? Get two straps, otherwise you're looking at nerve damage in your shoulder.

Seriously.

I went out of my way to buy a sub 3 lb laptop (IBM X40) only to discover how big my case books were. Luckily I've got a two strap backpack I got from Eddie Bauer that has a padded slot for the laptop and even has a connecting strap across the chest. I use it all the time to save my back.

Furthermore, discussions of what is "cool" in law school, what will get the ladies, is retarded. It's professional school, not high school.

P.S. I'm a cool dude and the ladies think the chest strap makes me look hot. ;)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i'd go for a backpack, since you'll be doing a lot of walking and stuff. a messenger bag to me is when you are doing less walking, and more riding (not a bike)

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
twoodcc said:
i'd go for a backpack, since you'll be doing a lot of walking and stuff. a messenger bag to me is when you are doing less walking, and more riding (not a bike)
what was that?

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
twoodcc said:
a messenger bag to me is when you are doing less walking, and more riding (not a bike)
what type of riding are you refering to if you are not refering to biking?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
h0e0h said:
why is it that the targus backpacks VERY rarely get mentioned in these forums. I have one. I used to use it for my ProStar 17" widescreen HUGE desktop replacement... but i got rid of that puppy... and now i use it for my school books and my 12" PB.

Yup!!
Targus rocks!! I have a Gell filled Backpack for my Dell (YETCH!!) work laptop.

I have fallen on, and dropped the bag causing no damage..

Targus is the way to go, their laptop backpacks look like you could go on a mountain Hike with them!!

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
I have a messenger bag from Banana Replubic, and put my 15" pb in a sleeve (booq viper m) to carry it around campus. I have my pb and only 2 books and am only on campus 2 nights a week for 2 classes. With that said, my mess. bag is very heavy for only two classes and I believe a backpack would probably be better if I had more classes and went throughout the day.

It doesn't really matter how you look, just how you feel. You want to be comfortable if you are walking so much.

I would reccommend going to the apple store or a computer store that carries both, putting some books and your pb in each, and see what is more comfortable to you and your body type.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Go for a Spymac Messenger case. The thing is so sleak and dynamic. You can get the Travel Bakcpack too, which will hold the messenver bag when you roll it around campus.

When I finally have enough cash to throw down on a powerbook, it will bethe case I get. From what I hear, the new revisions have worked out all bugs with zippers and pockets, etc. Very unique, and has pockets for everything (iPod, discs, chords, mouse,. etc) and it doubles as a powerbook stand.
http://www.spymac.com

snh628

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2005
I know what you mean...

I'm a doctoral student and I used to carry around a tote bag. I carry it sometimes when I don't have books, but I got a big knot in my shoulder (like it was raised) and now I'm getting a Brenthaven packpack tomorrow. One of my classmates has one and he keeps telling me how awesome it is!

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
I've owned 3 PowerBooks in the last 3 years. Each has had a different case.

2003 - Pismo PowerBook G3/500MHz (Brenthaven backpack)
2004 - 17" PowerBook (Timbuk2 messenger bag)
2005 - 15" PowerBook (Brenthaven shoulder bag)

In the end, I came back to Brenthaven because of their superior design, which puts a premium on proetcting the notebook. The Timbuk2 case is nice to look at, but I would doubt how well it protects a laptop if it were ever dropped.

sancgreal

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2005
sydney
ever tried crumpler bags?

crumpler bags are the best option: they provide a great range of optiona all colourful and really funky looking.

there is also the plain black if you need it.

check out crumpler.com.au

the one i have now is called "the sheep scarer", my ibook is well protected, and compartments are very well placed/designed.

i think there's a delivery option if ur overseas. you can also ebay for a bag. It costs around $250 australian, and its really good value for money, the bag is made with very strong fabrics, i think this is a better option than targus. Their bags look old-man-like and uptight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.