PDA

View Full Version : Will Lion come with XCode4?

covertsurfer
Jul 18, 2011, 09:28 AM
As the title suggests.

On the Developer Tools CD that came with my mac I had XCode 3. With the new download, will it come with these developer tools and if so will it be XCode4?

I use the free XCode v3/iOS SDK but if I updated to Lion will XCode 4 be installed?

If it is and I use the free version of the SDK will that overwrite XCode 4 with XCode 3 or will the release of iOS5 come with XCode4?

Make sense!?

nick123222
Jul 18, 2011, 09:30 AM
I can't be sure but almost definitely no. The install is only 4GB when Xcode is about 3-4GB I believe.

mrapplegate
Jul 18, 2011, 09:32 AM
As the title suggests.

On the Developer Tools CD that came with my mac I had XCode 3. With the new download, will it come with these developer tools and if so will it be XCode4?

Nope, xCode is a separate download now. Or even a purchase from the App store.

dlimes13
Jul 18, 2011, 09:42 AM
As far as I know, you have to buy Xcode 4 from the Mac App Store (I did) and it's a seperate install. I have Lion and I'm waiting on Xcode 4.1 before I put it back on here.

covertsurfer
Jul 18, 2011, 09:47 AM
Do you know if the iOS5 release will mean the publicly available SDK will come with XCode4. At the moment its XCode3&iOS4.3

gusapple
Jul 18, 2011, 11:08 AM
I highly doubt that we would see Apple release it like that. Usually they wait until the consumer release to put out the current iOS. I would say that XCode will be separate, however if you already have 4.0, it looks like it will be a less painful process to update to smaller updates in Lion (rather than 4 gigs, more like 4 megs).

dejo
Jul 18, 2011, 11:33 AM
Do you know if the iOS5 release will mean the publicly available SDK will come with XCode4.
Almost certainly iOS 5 SDK will come with Xcode 4, since that is how the betas have been released. You can't even get iOS 5 SDK with Xcode 3, can you?

podsorcerer09
Jul 18, 2011, 11:52 AM
Actually, while it is a 5 dollar download right now for SL, it is supposed to be included in the Lion install. It probably won't be installed by default but as an extra download, same as an extra install from the installer DVD in the past. Apple stated that it would come with Lion in it's Developer Tools preview at WWDC this year.

mrapplegate
Jul 18, 2011, 12:05 PM
Actually, while it is a 5 dollar download right now for SL, it is supposed to be included in the Lion install. It probably won't be installed by default but as an extra download, same as an extra install from the installer DVD in the past. Apple stated that it would come with Lion in it's Developer Tools preview at WWDC this year.

It's not included in the GM as an optional install. In fact you need Xcode 4.1 GM , still a separate download/install , to submit Lion apps to Apple.

Luke Redpath
Jul 18, 2011, 05:34 PM
The iOS5 SDK is Xcode 4 only and I'm pretty certain that Lion will ship with Xcode 4.1 (albeit not installed by default).

Xcode 4.2 (the one that ships with iOS 5 beta SDK) will remain beta for some months yet.

balamw
Jul 18, 2011, 05:38 PM
I suspect that those of us who upgrade to Lion and are not members of a Dev program (I am) will have to pay $5 extra for it.

However, I would hope that Apple continues to bundle a version of Xcode with new machines that ship with Lion...

B

vodouman
Jul 20, 2011, 08:31 AM
ATM I use Xcode 4 which I purchased from the MAS.

I am not a paid developer. I heard that the current version of Xcode 4 doesn't work on Lion. Does this mean I'm going to have to stay with Snow Leopard to continue using it!?

If I paid for the iPhone Developer account would I gain access to a working build of Xcode 4 on Lion? I know that this is the case if I pay for a Mac Developer account but I don't intend to develop Mac apps.

Cheers,

-Vodouman

trfjason
Jul 20, 2011, 10:23 AM
Xcode 4.0.2 from Snow Leopard DOES NOT WORK on Lion. I have this problem at the moment. I am an iOS developer and Apple does not have an updated Xcode for Lion, except for Xcode 4.2 beta..

jiminaus
Jul 20, 2011, 10:35 AM
Xcode 4.0.2 from Snow Leopard DOES NOT WORK on Lion. I have this problem at the moment. I am an iOS developer and Apple does not have an updated Xcode for Lion, except for Xcode 4.2 beta..

Expect an update to XCode 4.1 shortly. It's at GM in the mac dev center.

vodouman
Jul 20, 2011, 10:45 AM

This is such a massive inconvenience! So my choices are either roll back to Snow Leopard or stick it out till the update is released in the MAS.

If I registered as an iOS paid dev would I gain access to the Xcode 4.2 beta or is that only available to paid Mac devs.

EDIT:

Just saw the above post... Does that mean that Xcode will be updated today?

intelgrande
Jul 20, 2011, 11:03 AM
I'm downloading Xcode 4.1 now for free (Lion purchased). I am not a paid developer.

covertsurfer
Jul 20, 2011, 11:18 AM
Xcode 4.1 now free, available for Lion development: For all of the developers who were wondering... http://t.co/yPrqZDo

underkuerbis
Jul 20, 2011, 11:50 AM
Does that mean Xcode 4.1 on the AppStore is basically the same 4.1 we'd get from the Developer Downloads? There's still only 4.0.2 available, or am I missing something? Wait or grab it from the AppStore?

edit: okay, they even advise you to get it from the AppStore. Problem solved. Development continues.