Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
Hello,

I recently picked up an old iMac G4, 700ghz, 512 ram, 80g hard drive for very cheap.My wife thought it was cool, retro machine that would look good in the kitchen nook! lol

I have two questions:

1. Tiger is installed on it and did not come with disks and the there is a admin password on it from the previous owner and I have no way to contact him. Is there a way to access this to change the password?

2. Is this machine capable of running Leopard or do I need to increase the ram? I now it can run an OS beyond this one.

Thanks alot!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
1. Change the RAM configuration (add or remove ram) and then reset the PRAM three times.

2. You will need to use a hack to run Leopard as the machine is below min spec (CPU speed). 512mb is inadequate to run leopard IMHO. You are best to stick with Tiger, even with a RAM upgrade.

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
1. Change the RAM configuration (add or remove ram) and then reset the PRAM three times.

2. You will need to use a hack to run Leopard as the machine is below min spec (CPU speed). 512mb is inadequate to run leopard IMHO. You are best to stick with Tiger, even with a RAM upgrade.

Thanks, I have been looking around and I have seen different opinions on whether or not it will run Leopard, but I am inclined to agree with you.

I am going to show my ignorance, but what is PRAM and how do I reset it?

Thanks!

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Does the iMac have a DVD drive? It might only have a CD drive that will need to be upgraded to install leopard, which comes on a DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.