Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sarmiento

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
I'm currently using Aperture 3 (Managed Files) and because of the size of my library (over 120 GB) I'm considering moving to (Referenced Files) but I have a question.

Assume you have good backups of all your files but your external drive with the photo masters fails. How do you redirect the referenced files to another disk (backup)?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm currently using Aperture 3 (Managed Files) and because of the size of my library (over 120 GB) I'm considering moving to (Referenced Files) but I have a question.

Assume you have good backups of all your files but your external drive with the photo masters fails. How do you redirect the referenced files to another disk (backup)?

I don't understand why you'd need to use referenced files. Can't you move the entire library to a disk that is large enough

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

A referenced library could have the same problem. His problem was not with the images but the index. The index is the same using either method.

His real problem was upgrading Aperture to new version and then trying to read an older library. He will have to downgrade Aperture. Same would be true if he had a referenced library.

But notice he did NOT loose the images, just Aperture's meta data

Sarmiento

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
I understand about the benefits of referenced files but I have been working on the library from two computers (iMac & MacBook Pro) and copying over 120 GB is taking longer than I'd like. If I were to go to referenced I wouldn't keep the master on the laptop but I could work on the metadata, rankings, etc. and that would be fine. This would cut the aperture file size to about 20 GB which is manageable.

I would store the master photos on a Synology DS1511+ and perform automatic backups to other drives.

Another option which I am now considering is exporting a project at a time as a library and merge it back with the edits. Has anyone had any issues with doing this? Is this pretty reliable?

Sarmiento

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Also, losing the metadata would be very, very bad for me. Not as bad as losing the picture obviously but I am organizing the family tree photos and I couldn't go back and identify some of the folks in the pictures.

And YES, I am paranoid and keep lots of backups in multiple locations.

:eek:

Clark Kent

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
Why not make a vault on an external drive (or several spread across different drives)?

If your files are referenced, they won't be included and the backup won't take up much space.

Make sure you update the vault after any changes to your library and you can always return to a point in time before you did whatever destroyed your metadata/edits/etc.

Sarmiento

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Why not make a vault on an external drive (or several spread across different drives)?

If your files are referenced, they won't be included and the backup won't take up much space.

Make sure you update the vault after any changes to your library and you can always return to a point in time before you did whatever destroyed your metadata/edits/etc.

You're right using vaults makes more sense. I was currently using one vault but I think I'll be reconsidering my current situation and have other vaults.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.