Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trsblader

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Hey everyone.

I've been looking at cases a lot lately, and am having trouble finding "the one." I'm hoping that someone with user experience or just more "searching" experience can easily help me out.

What I'm looking for this is:

1.) A case to protect the back with some sort of "flap" to protect the front. Something like the smart cover, or just a folding case for instance.

2.) A case with good viewing AND typing angles both in landscape and portrait. I am not much worried about for on my lap, but if I sit it on a flat desk surface, I would like good angles for typing or viewing pages, etc. I've seen a lot of cases that only offer one portrait and one landscape angle.

3.) STURDY! This is what I'm having the most trouble with, is a sturdy case at all viewing angles. It seems that a lot of the "stands" for the cases are extremely weak, and can be knocked over with light pressing. Not I don't want to punch my screen and it still be standing, but if I'm typing or surfing, I certainly don't want to have to use one hand to hold it up the entire time. I saw a review of one case, that I think I could literally blow on and it would fall over at any and all angles that it offered.

4.) Snug fit. I don't think it's too much to ask for a case that doesn't let the iPad slide out. I don't care if it moves a slight amount, but if it slides out the bottom/side, that's an issue obviously, as I'm sure you'd all agree.

5.) Price. I'm not a stickler on price, but I'm not paying 2, 3, $400+ on a measly case to have a good viewing angle. If that's the case, I'll buy another case that I like and take 2 sticky note pads with me and put on under each corner.

6.) Easily works around front and back screen protectors. I do not have one yet (yeah yeah, I know), but will be at least grabbing a screen protector for the front, if not the back. I've seen a lot of regular cases that fit very tight and it is questionable whether the cases will work "nicely" with one or both of the screen protectors.

I know a sturdy case with a couple decent viewing and typing angles has to exist, I'm just having trouble finding it. Bonus points if someone finds an aesthetically pleasing case :) Color doesn't matter.

Hopefully it doesn't seem too picky.

trsblader

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2011
That actually doesn't look like a bad case. I wish it protected the back a little more, but nothing a screen protector couldn't fix probably (if it will stick well to one).

While looking through a link for the spider case, I found another one that I'm going to look into more. It's a back that is ultra slim, but allows you to use the stock Apple smart cover, and the price is right on the backing part.

Still open to suggestions though if anyone else has any.

OneForGadgets

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Have you considered the Specks PixelSkin HD? http://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/ipad-2-cases/pixelskin-hd-wrap-ipad-case-blue-1607.html

Available in blue and black, I have to believe it fits a lot of your requirements. The case includes almost a "smart cover" type lid where it will firmly stick to your screen. On top of that, I have been told the case is quite snug and also has a few different angles the iPad can be situated in. For $49.95, I have to say it could be a good consideration for you

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.