Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNN is the first 24-hour news network to offer live streaming of both the flagship CNN channel and CNN Headline News to iPad and iPhone owners, and at CNN.com/video, via the TV Everywhere initiative.
cnnapp.jpg

It only works for users who already subscribe to CNN via AT&T, Comcast, Cox, DISH Network, Suddenlink and Verizon. Time Warner Cable is the notable, ironic exception, mostly because CNN is owned by Time Warner -- a company that once was the parent of Time Warner Cable. The two are related only in name at this point.

In addition to streaming CNN and Headline News, CNN will also offer up to 4 other streams of breaking news and events. Today, CNN was streaming live coverage of the US Senate, and video of the Atlanta and New York City skylines.

Article Link: CNN Serves Up Live Streaming 24/7 To iPad and iPhone

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
This is further proof that major web sites are planning on using HTML5 in their future and not Flash. Good bye Flash! It (wasn't) fun!

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Heh... TV "Everywhere" -- if you subscribe to these networks! (and live in the US?)

aperantos

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
London, U.K.
CNN is the first 24-hour news network to offer live streaming of both the flagship CNN channel and CNN Headline News to iPad and iPhone owners, and at CNN.com/video, via the TV Everywhere initiative.

The first in the US. There are international 24-hour news networks which already offer this.

Michael.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Post-PC era. The gradual decline of Flash. Steve Jobs' usual prescience about the web and, well, people in general.

The evidence is really piling up. CNN is a big name in news.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Post-PC era. The gradual decline of Flash. Steve Jobs' usual prescience about the web and, well, people in general.

Flash is more than just video... ;)
There's a long way to go before it gets replaced.

norwaypianoman

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Norway
First ? On what?

What was first? World's first in US? First on "tv everywhere" ? First outside an app,and directly in safari ? Or first 24-streaming news channel ? I dont understand.

They are certainly not the first 24 hour streaming news channel in english. France24 and even Aljazeera have broadcasted for months..

whitehill76

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Glasgow
Sky News

just to add to the ever growing list, but the Sky News app on ipad is really good, live streaming etc etc!

The iphone version does live streaming on 3g:)

thesaint580

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
They advertise as Verizon being a partner. I dont see that in the iPhone App as a provider. Only available on CNN.com. What is going on?

bluemonkeyguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
thats ghey, i login with my cox credentials and i get a notice "Cox doesn't support or does not allow viewing of CNN." :confused:

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

When are they going to start charging for it?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Won't work if you get your TV service through Verizon.

Yes, yes - I watch TV. On a TV - not on a 31/2" screen. On a TV. But what can you expect - I also read the newspaper. (Oh, I'm so embarrassed :eek: :eek:)

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010

Making a native iOS app has nothing to do with the extinction of a technology. Frankly, this has nothing to do with Flash, at all. It's not like this was designed as an alternative to a previously existing Flash-only solution.

If I had a dollar for every time you mistakenly attributed something to the "Post-PC era," I'd be a very rich man.

Gotta Hankerin

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is another great step toward channels becoming apps rather than numbers on a screen. I hope, in the near future, the requirement for paid tv service goes away.

obafgkm

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2006
CNN is the first 24-hour news network to offer live streaming of both the flagship CNN channel and CNN Headline News ...

Yes, I suppose that CNN would be the first to offer live streaming of CNN and CNN Headline News... :rolleyes:

However, I've been watching the stream of Al Jazeera with the Al Jazeera app on my 1G iPod Touch for quite some time...

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
first TWC screws HBO, now CNN?

okay, what the hell.

first everyone gets access to the awesomeness that is HBO GO, EXCEPT Time Warner Cable subscribers. Now, CNN brings us the fantastic news that they're offering live streaming but... wait... everyone BUT TWC subscribers get it.

I'm really annoyed, and as a TWC subscriber want to know what I can do to get these guys to approve the use of apps like these. It's the future of media, why hold it back from your honest paying subscribers?

Last edited:

Newnour1

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I prefer Aljazeera English app, it's a lot better. Plus it's free. Live streaming 24/7 gives you a whole clear idea about what's going on in the world. If you like politics Check it out

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

Why dish and not directv?

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I have fios tv, but I don't see the option to select Verizon either to watch this. What gives?

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Yes, I suppose that CNN would be the first to offer live streaming of CNN and CNN Headline News... :rolleyes:

However, I've been watching the stream of Al Jazeera with the Al Jazeera app on my 1G iPod Touch for quite some time...

And I don't have to pay bucks to subscribe to Cable TV - for the privilege of watching on my iPhone/iPad. Not to mention, the news is generally a bit more in depth and intelligent.

drensin

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Time Warner

Time Warner sucks. They're my cable and internet company and they don't particpate in HBO GO or CNN. What do I have to do to change that? Disconne.... my .. serv ...

omatzyo

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What's great about this new function is it streams video via AirPlay. I would like to see more of this from the likes of HBO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.