Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulkerdot

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
If I buy a new air with lion already installed, do I need to buy lion from the app store for my iMac or can I use the USB stick from the air?

questioner76

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
I had the same question. If we buy the new macbook airs with Lion, will we still need to buy Lion for our other Macs?

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Whoops, didn't read this carefully enough. I didn't catch the 'for my iMac' part.

Change that answer to 'I don't know.' You may have to tell us if it works.

But even if you do, $30 for multiple downloads of an OS isn't that hard of a pill to swallow.

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
Although Lion is cheap it would still be nice. However my stomache tells me it will not work. If one wants to try this do you first have to de-install SL first or you just overwrite SL with LION ????

If I buy a new air with lion already installed, do I need to buy lion from the app store for my iMac or can I use the USB stick from the air?

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I have a feeling it will be like the iLife products. If they are pre installed on your mac then they won't appear on your mac app store account and might have to purchase them again for other computers.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
if the new MBA is linked to your iTunes account and to your iMac both should get the updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.