PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Offers Refurbished iPhone 3GS for $9

MacRumors
Jul 18, 2011, 04:38 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/18/att-offers-refurbished-iphone-3gs-for-9/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/MC555_AVM-150x150.jpg

Earlier this year, AT&T lowered the subsidized price of the iPhone 3GS (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/06/atandt-lowers-iphone-3gs-price-to-49/) to $49.

Now, AT&T is offering refurbished 3GS' for just $9 (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/packages-details.jsp?q_package=sku4930238) with a two-year contract.

Earlier today, it was rumored that Apple would continue selling the 3GS this fall (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/18/apple-to-launch-next-generation-iphone-in-late-august/), after the next version of the iPhone is released, as a low-cost, unlocked device for $350 without a contract.

Over the past several iPhone cycles, Apple has continued to offer the prior model of the iPhone for $99 with a two-year contract. The 3G was sold with the 3GS, and the 3GS is currently paired with the iPhone 4.

Hat tip Electronista (http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/07/15/iphone.3gs.refurb.now.9.dollars/).

Article Link: AT&T Offers Refurbished iPhone 3GS for $9 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/18/att-offers-refurbished-iphone-3gs-for-9/)

kbmb
Jul 18, 2011, 04:46 PM
This is nothing new....my buddy picked up this deal more than 6 months ago from AT&T for his refurb 3GS.

-Kevin

DCstewieG
Jul 18, 2011, 04:52 PM
Once you've decided to pay for an expensive data plan for the next 24 months, I just don't understand skimping on the phone you're going to be stuck with.

Sixtafoua
Jul 18, 2011, 04:53 PM
Who would sign a 2 year contract with a 3GS? It's already 2 years old, and by the time the contract expires, you'll be left with a 4 year old phone! :eek:

DylanT
Jul 18, 2011, 04:54 PM
Why not just offer the phone as a free phone ? After the contract your still down a bunch.

rjohnstone
Jul 18, 2011, 04:58 PM
Once you've decided to pay for an expensive data plan for the next 24 months, I just don't understand skimping on the phone you're going to be stuck with.

Who would sign a 2 year contract with a 3GS? It's already 2 years old, and by the time the contract expires, you'll be left with a 4 year old phone! :eek:
Because A.) some people don't have $200 to plop down on a phone and B.) some people are not tech whores and have to have the latest and greatest toy on the market.
I know some people who still use the original iPhone and are very happy with it.

Ksizzle9
Jul 18, 2011, 05:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

This is nice for those who don't have the money. Or mothers or grandmother who need a good phone just for something like email or the likes.

*LTD*
Jul 18, 2011, 05:23 PM
Don't pan the 3GS, guys.

It's the same phone that's outselling even newer Android handsets.

borisiii
Jul 18, 2011, 05:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why not just offer the phone as a free phone ? After the contract your still down a bunch.

My thought exactly. Would it kill AT&T to offer a free phone? Especially since you have to pay for activation, and even then you pay way over the odds compared with just about any other provider in any country in the world...

Rodimus Prime
Jul 18, 2011, 05:26 PM

there are 2 types of people who buy smart phones.
The ones who buy the high end 200 buck ones knowing that over the course of the contract it is not much money and those that want the cheapest thing (50 or less)
The middle ground for smart phones has all but been wiped out. All that is left is high end and cheap end.
Base place to see this effect is look at Android phones. The cheap ones (50 and less) and the high end ones are about the only ones that really sell. The middle of the road ones do really poorly.

Heck this is part of the reason WP7 is having so much trouble gaining traction. They are just starting to get high end phones on the market. They had only mid of the road priced phones other wise.

maclaptop
Jul 18, 2011, 05:31 PM

It's simple really. The 3GS is an excellent phone that will do everything and more than many people need and want.

It's one of my all time favorites, and I've had every iPhone made.

Newer is not always better, which is something one learns over time, and through experience.

My first hand experience reveals that my 3GS was a much better "phone" than the iP4 I currently have. During the one year period I used the 3GS, I consistently enjoyed great call quality, far better than my iPhone 4.

Besides, just because it may not have all the latest features, does not detract from the excellent phone it is.

At that price, it's a great value. I highly endorse, the 3GS.

Adidas Addict
Jul 18, 2011, 05:35 PM
Pretty funny that a second hand 3GS costs $9 on a 2yr contract and makes the news, yet here in the UK a brand new iPhone 4 is free on a 2yr contract.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/APPLE_IPHONE4_16GB_ORANGE_IO354_FCON

richardsonrs
Jul 18, 2011, 05:51 PM
Pretty funny that a second hand 3GS costs $9 on a 2yr contract and makes the news, yet here in the UK a brand new iPhone 4 is free on a 2yr contract.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/APPLE_IPHONE4_16GB_ORANGE_IO354_FCON

That's already been news and guess what!! Nobody cared. We care even less now. A $9.00 iPhone is news to a lot of people. My 3GS was a much better phone than my iP4 is and many people will jump on it.

srxtr
Jul 18, 2011, 05:56 PM
It's simple really. The 3GS is an excellent phone that will do everything and more than many people need and want.

Newer is not always better, which is something one learns over time, and through experience.

My first hand experience reveals that my 3GS was a much better "phone" than the iP4 I currently have. During the one year period I used the 3GS, I consistently enjoyed great call quality, far better than my iPhone 4.

Besides, just because it may not have all the latest features, does not detract from the excellent phone it is.

In terms of features, spec, and quality, iPhone 4 > 3GS > 3G

But I guess it really depends on your definition of "better"...

TEG
Jul 18, 2011, 06:01 PM
They also have 1 3GS all the time. They are usually refurbished and have physical flaws (read: scratches). They aren't there now, but are common.

TEG

akarmenia
Jul 18, 2011, 06:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Pfft. Got mine for $0 2 years back in aus.

orfeas0
Jul 18, 2011, 07:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I dont understand how can you compare prices when you dont know the total cost of the phone? I mean if you get the iphone4 for free but you pay 100$ a month for 2 years, it isnt exactly cheap. You can only compare prices in contract-less prices or if you know how much will the contract cost... So that "iphone 3gs for 9$ on a 2 year contract" doesnt show a thing... Give us the full price lol

mikeytheman
Jul 18, 2011, 07:15 PM
We have them for free at radioshack.

marksman
Jul 18, 2011, 07:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a 3GS and a 4. The 3GS pales in comparison but still is a really great phone gor most people and allow them to get mist of the benefits of the apple Eco system.

pyro008
Jul 18, 2011, 09:08 PM
I have to admit, I don't understand the aversion to paying $200 for a phone when you're gonna be dropping like $2000 over the contract. I guess most people are just too dumb to think so far into the future. If I get my own cell plan, phone price is hardly even something I'd consider.

TC400
Jul 18, 2011, 10:13 PM
It used to be $29 for a refurbished one w/ a new two year contract.

FroMann
Jul 18, 2011, 10:19 PM
If only the 3GS were on Verizon...

gwangung
Jul 18, 2011, 10:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I dont understand how can you compare prices when you dont know the total cost of the phone? I mean if you get the iphone4 for free but you pay 100$ a month for 2 years, it isnt exactly cheap. You can only compare prices in contract-less prices or if you know how much will the contract cost... So that "iphone 3gs for 9$ on a 2 year contract" doesnt show a thing... Give us the full price lol

Hm. I thought most data and voice plans for smart phones were pretty much the same. Not sure what point you think you're making here.

winston1236
Jul 18, 2011, 10:51 PM

Agreed. Two years old and still better than others at the same price point.

rroach3753
Jul 19, 2011, 12:04 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/18/att-offers-refurbished-iphone-3gs-for-9/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/MC555_AVM-150x150.jpg)

Earlier this year, AT&T lowered the subsidized price of the iPhone 3GS (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/06/atandt-lowers-iphone-3gs-price-to-49/) to $49.

Now, AT&T is offering refurbished 3GS' for just $9 (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/packages-details.jsp?q_package=sku4930238) with a two-year contract.

Earlier today, it was rumored that Apple would continue selling the 3GS this fall (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/18/apple-to-launch-next-generation-iphone-in-late-august/), after the next version of the iPhone is released, as a low-cost, unlocked device for $350 without a contract.

Over the past several iPhone cycles, Apple has continued to offer the prior model of the iPhone for $99 with a two-year contract. The 3G was sold with the 3GS, and the 3GS is currently paired with the iPhone 4.

Hat tip Electronista (http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/07/15/iphone.3gs.refurb.now.9.dollars/).

Article Link: AT&T Offers Refurbished iPhone 3GS for $9 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/18/att-offers-refurbished-iphone-3gs-for-9/)

This is nothing new! I got 2 of them last month (one for my mom and one for my sister) for FREE...well $.01 each. They aren't 'techwhores' like I am...but they definitely like and use them constantly.

hexonxonx
Jul 19, 2011, 12:22 AM

That really doesn't matter. I still have an original iPhone activated with one year left on it's contract. I also have a 32GB 3GS and an 8GB 3GS both purchased last summer. The 32GB still has one year left on it's contract.

WissMAN
Jul 19, 2011, 01:43 AM

Exactly. $9.00? Just make it free.

dawnrazor
Jul 19, 2011, 04:42 AM
For all of Apple's Green credentials and use of eco friendly products etc, the iPhones have a remarkably short life, even for modern e-products.

I wonder how many of the original iPhones are still in service? What about the iPhone 3G? To say a refurbished 3GS is worth so little... Just makes you think is all, maybe I'll skip the iPhone 4S/5 and wait for the next installment...

Googlyhead
Jul 19, 2011, 05:06 AM
For all of Apple's Green credentials and use of eco friendly products etc, the iPhones have a remarkably short life, even for modern e-products.

I wonder how many of the original iPhones are still in service? What about the iPhone 3G? To say a refurbished 3GS is worth so little... Just makes you think is all, maybe I'll skip the iPhone 4S/5 and wait for the next installment...

I'm not sure that is the case; I was thinking more that if you ignore the 'traditional' long lifespan of apple products, an analysis of the iPhone would show that for a mobile phone, it has a remarkably long working life.

Just think; before, you would get a Nokia or SE on contract;
Probably less than 6 months in, it's more than a little shabby, it was virtually outdated when you got it (as most tended to have some features at the expense of others, and many of it's new ways of slicing bread were supported for almost a week), hard to get cases or accessories (short lifespan of a low markets are model with eccentric implementations), software is never going to be updated again etc etc.
Network offers you a refurb or something at a cost, and updated contract, and...
Your just-a-few-months-old phone gets shoved in the back of a drawer (barely worth listing on eBay)

I used to work in the industry, and it was rare that someone would still have the phone after a year. Even now, I see my coworkers flipping through HTC smartphones, while the rarer original iPhone and (admittedly v. Popular) 3GS carry on.
It's probably due to this lifespan that the iP4 appears to be almost outnumbered by the older models.

SBlue1
Jul 19, 2011, 06:03 AM
Hm. I thought most data and voice plans for smart phones were pretty much the same.

uhm, no, they are not. :confused:

bushido
Jul 19, 2011, 06:56 AM
the iPhone 4 is now on sale for 1 Euro in Germany with one of the cheapest plans avab ;)

BornAgainMac
Jul 19, 2011, 07:16 AM
Wow, $9 bucks. I remember having to pay $500 for this phone a few years ago for the 32 GB model because I wanted to terminate my contract with the iPhone 3G phone early (cracked screen).

Someday the iPhone 4 will be that cheap when iPhone 6S is out.

melchiorsen
Jul 19, 2011, 07:46 AM
In Denmark where I live we have laws preventing carriers to have more than a 6 month contract. After this time you can terminate the contract and leave for another carrier. I find it strange that US being the land of competition and free markets tie people to a two year contract which is quite expensive.

I browsed by the at&t website and tried to figure out the price schemes. Roughly it can be translated into this:
New smartphone: $99, discounted from a unsubsidized price of $450= $-350
900 minutes talk time: $60*24= $1440
unlimited SMS & MMS messaging: $20*24= $480
4GB of data: $45*24= $1080

total: $2650 (sales tax included?)

Comparison with danish carrier bringing your own smartphone
New smartphone unsubsidized: $450
900 minutes talk time (charged by second) + unlimited SMS & MMS messaging + 15GB of data (4-6mbps): $42*24= $1008

total: $1458 (VAT included)

That's a difference of almost $1200. That's a new Macbook Pro every 2 years :)

Tell me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that US customers are paying way too much for the services provided by the carriers.

jmcrutch
Jul 19, 2011, 08:07 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote: "I find it strange that US being the land of competition and free markets tie people to a two year contract which is quite expensive."

You sort of answered your own question when you wrote that Denmark has a law limiting length of contract. Laws counter free market forces.

melchiorsen
Jul 19, 2011, 08:26 AM

Quote: "I find it strange that US being the land of competition and free markets tie people to a two year contract which is quite expensive."

You sort of answered your own question when you wrote that Denmark has a law limiting length of contract. Laws counter free market forces.

You're absolutely right. The free market forces are not in full effect if laws intervene.

I just wonder why free market forces within this industry are keeping contracts so expensive. The US market should be the most competitive in the world yet prices are high.

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 19, 2011, 10:07 AM
I just wonder why free market forces within this industry are keeping contracts so expensive. The US market should be the most competitive in the world yet prices are high.

It's a matter of supply and demand. Everyone is willing to pay, and so we do.

If I had to guess, I would say the average US consumer has more money to spend than those of other countries, thus why they're willing to spend more.

Although, yes, I do find it ridiculous that the carriers are able to constantly screw us over. The answer, of course, is for some entrepreneur to make some new technology that makes that of AT&T and Verizon's worthless, and sell it for less so that they can rise to become the new dominant force in the market.

Edit: On the topic of the 3GS still being sold, I kind of wish it wasn't... I'd like to be able to stop supporting the non-retina displays in my games.

bobob
Jul 19, 2011, 10:11 AM

+1

If your data/voice plan is $50/month for 24 months, the real total cost of the $9 3GS is $1209 compared to a new $199 iPhone 5 next month at $1399.

That's a savings of only 7% or $8 a month.

If that much money is critical to your budget, you shouldn't be buying any type of smartphone.

buckers
Jul 19, 2011, 10:13 AM
I agree with some of the international posters that this is probably only newsworthy to Americans (but seeing as this is an American site, we'll let them off! :)).

iPhone 3GS here is free for 35 a month; 2000 minutes, over 5000 texts and 2GB internet.
http://www.three.co.uk/Phones/iPhone#anchor1

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jul 19, 2011, 02:30 PM
I wonder whatthe iPhnoe 4 will drop to when the next gen is released

itsalexaye
Jul 20, 2011, 09:47 AM
I had this option when I bought my 3GS in April, but it wasnt available in store, and I wanted a new iPhone. Didnt get the iPhone 4 because I anticipated getting a new iPhone this summer.

andyx3x
Jul 20, 2011, 05:05 PM
The bottom line is if you don't have $200 to spend on a phone, you don't need to be signing up for the expense of an iPhone contract. You just can't afford it.

Mr. Gates
Jul 23, 2011, 06:51 AM
Doesn't really set good image for the Apple brand.

Your phone will soon be worth nothing.

I know thats not the case but its how a lot of people will see it.