Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delexo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
United Kingdom
Basically I've had an iPod Touch 2nd Gen pretty much since a few months after it was released in September 2008. It has served me well but it's reached a stage where it's almost unusable.

The screen is cracked, the lock button is stuck meaning I can't actually lock the device and the headphone jack is faulty (sound only comes out of one ear from the head/earphones). Would I be better buying a new iPod Touch or is it possible to get all the above fixed much cheaper?

Ultimately, if it is better to simply buy a new iPod Touch, how much do you reckon I could get for this iPod (only an 8GB)?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Basically I've had an iPod Touch 2nd Gen pretty much since a few months after it was released in September 2008. It has served me well but it's reached a stage where it's almost unusable.

The screen is cracked, the lock button is stuck meaning I can't actually lock the device and the headphone jack is faulty (sound only comes out of one ear from the head/earphones). Would I be better buying a new iPod Touch or is it possible to get all the above fixed much cheaper?

Ultimately, if it is better to simply buy a new iPod Touch, how much do you reckon I could get for this iPod (only an 8GB)?

i think no one would willingly purchase that. i'd get a new one, but that depends on your budget. as for the headphone jack, make sure it isn't your headphones. one pair of apple headphones (ones with the mic) decided to just produce sound in one ear, so i had to switch to a cheaper pair.

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
Agreed. ^ Doubt anyone would want it unless they want it for parts or if they want to fix it up. I'd say 50 dollars, although I'm not quite sure.

Delexo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
United Kingdom
Haha, I of course meant to sell for spare parts. I think selling this iPod for anything but parts would be harder than selling ice to Eskimos. :p

I have checked the headphone jack with about seven or eight different headphones (some completely new headphones), each with the same result so I am pretty certain it's the headphone jack unfortunately.

I think I'll retire it and buy myself either a fifth generation iPod Touch or even go all out and get an iPhone 5. But selling this model looks to be more work than it's worth.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
Haha, I of course meant to sell for spare parts. I think selling this iPod for anything but parts would be harder than selling ice to Eskimos. :p

I have checked the headphone jack with about seven or eight different headphones (some completely new headphones), each with the same result so I am pretty certain it's the headphone jack unfortunately.

I think I'll retire it and buy myself either a fifth generation iPod Touch or even go all out and get an iPhone 5. But selling this model looks to be more work than it's worth.

Go all out with an iPhone 5/4S when it comes out later this year. This means that you only need 1 device for calling/texting and listening to music, playing apps, etc.

Mattprice

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
I've got the 1st gen since it very first came out! And it's still going strong with the odd fault ! Any others still got the 1st gen?

Matt price
On Twitter @_mattprice_

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
in stead of fully retiring it, get some sort of bluetooth headphones/speakers, you can load it up with music and use it as a wireless player. but yes for everything else, get a new one.

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011

A new iPod Touch would definetly be the way to go. Technology has exponentially advanced since 2008. I would keep the 2G as a keepsake, and even if its doesn't work its always fun to boast that you have 2 iPod Touches :D

Delexo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
United Kingdom
Go all out with an iPhone 5/4S when it comes out later this year. This means that you only need 1 device for calling/texting and listening to music, playing apps, etc.

Yeah I'm very tempted just to hold out and go for the new iPhone. I think I probably will and hold onto my beloved 2G iPod Touch for sentimental value. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.