Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I think this is my first time of using facetime. Today the fan of my macbook air spun over 4000 RPM and CPU temperature heated over 75 °C a couple of minutes after doing Facetime. Is this normal and anybody else has similar issue? My macbook air is 2011 13" with everything maximized, also with Cookbook installed.

krogers34

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
quick question, does this happen when you are doing anything else? Also, what temp does your computer normally run at?

jackyyeow

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
With Coolbook installed running at lowest voltage on all clock speed, I use VMWare doing some works using quite a bit of CPU, the fan will run on full 6500RPM and CPU hovers around low 70 degreeC. Pretty normal if the CPU still run more than 50% constant. Fan didn't annoy me anyway, 6500RPM on the MBA on par with average PC laptops, some PC laptops can be real annoying.

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
The fan never kicks in normal daily operation. The normal CPU temperature is around 44 °C. I think that is pretty cool.

Looks like most people got a better macbook air than me without fan noise while doing facetime?

quick question, does this happen when you are doing anything else? Also, what temp does your computer normally run at?

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
This is normal. Make sure you close all other applications when running Facetime, to lessen the load on the CPU. My 13" Ultimate Air ran 80C with Skype with no other apps open. I installed CoolBook, and it now runs 73C under the same scenario.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.