Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhatter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Hi

My PowerBook G4 (1.25gHz 2003-4) has developed a problem all of sudden with the screen. Please see picture.

If you're not sure what you are looking at, there are a series of horizontal & vertical lines/patterns in various colours. They are all uniform and not random.

The PB starts up OK and you can probably see my desktop image (David Hockney painting) below all the interference.

I have since run first aid - done a complete clean install and put a new system on there, but with no luck.

I'd like to get it fixed so that my two girls can use it instead of my new MacBook Pro.

Any suggestions please? Thank in anticipation of your replies.

Attachments

• DSC03480.jpg
    DSC03480.jpg
    629.3 KB · Views: 105

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Most likely a hardware issue.

The video cable that is routed through the hinges to the LCD screen might have been damaged causing the garbled video.

Also a possibility is the video board is damaged.

Both would probably be cost prohibitive to fix.

If it's the video cable, some people have been able just to replace that. However, getting to the cable is going to be messy.

If it's the video board, you would need a new one. It would be (slightly) easier to put in, however, would be more expensive to purchase.

A used Powerbook in good shape would only be a few hundred dollars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.