Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geotrash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Erie, CO
Sage Gurus,

I was in line at the store for the first iPhone way back in prehistoric times, but I've never been at the store waiting to buy a new MacBook. I will be this time for a new Air.

So my question is: should I expect a mob scene on the first day of the new Air? If so, how early would you recommend I get there to wait? I'll be at the Boulder, Colorado store if that matters.

Just looking for input from those of you who have attended the first day of a new MB/A launch, or know what they're like. Thanks for the guidance.

Best,
Dave

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Like everything else concerning the new models, it's all speculation. Assuming they've got them in stores the first day, you might have an advantage.

First of all, it's not like there will be a keynote advancing a release date months in advance, and news outlets amplifying it endlessly until then.

You may just be able to just quietly walk in and get one before the general public finds out.

If you are a business owner, and have a good rapport at the mac business unit at your local apple store, you may be able to have them quietly pull one off the delivery truck and hold it for you.

I can't swear to that, and won't state if this has happened to me before with other products.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I doubt there will be "mob scenes" tomorrow, even assuming Lion and the MacBook Air. Note that Lion is an app store download, and new Mac releases are almost routine. Only iPads and iPhones have generated long lines.

That said, those planning to upgrade to Lion might want to wait a day or so to gauge whether Apple's servers can handle it this time, or if this is MobileMe redux.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I think you'll be fine. If it's busy, it'll be because of usual traffic; Apple stores seem to always be full even on quiet weekday nights. I went to pick up my iMac on what I thought was a conventional Wednesday night at the mall, and it was still packed.

Geotrash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Erie, CO
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies, guys -- exactly the perspectives I was looking for.

Best,
Dave

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I bought a mini the day after the last refresh and the first employee I spoke to didn't even know they had the new ones in. They were still sitting in a box in the back.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies, guys -- exactly the perspectives I was looking for.

Of course, it's entirely possible we won't have any new hardware devices Wednesday. Apple might want to be staggering releases. Whenever the Rev E MacBook Air comes out, the Apple stores should be well-equipped to handle it.

Remember, Apple gets more revenue from iPads now than it does from Macs.

Last edited:

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Haha, don't expect lines for a computer. Consider yourself lucky if the employees even know they have new ones in.

KillerTree

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Anyone else think new MacBook Airs won't be released tomorrow? Something concrete should have been leaked by now.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
dsds

Theres two sides, I don't see the point of them selling old MBA's with LION thats the only reason i think they will have new ones tomorrow at some point in the day. They will either be dropshipped to stores or will be available online only till wednesday thursday or friday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.