Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Currently, my household has 3 macs, and 2 PCs. 1 of the PCs is used as a "home server" that houses all of our music, photos, videos and files. Works fine and all the other machines in the house are networked to it so we can all share the same iTunes library as opposed to each machine having separate music folders and libraries and so on.

I am thinking of replacing that "server" PC with a Mac Mini (the one with the DVD slot, not the actual Mac Mini server) and replace the hard drive with a 1TB drive. Would this Mac Mini work fine in replacing what I had? My benefits would be less power draw (since that server will be on all the time) and then it becomes the main machine where I can set up iPhoto libraries once iCloud comes online in a few months (I'm gonna miss gallery and iDisk). Thanks!

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
The base Mac Mini makes a GREAT little server. up till about 9 months ago I used one as a file / print / mail / web server and a torrent box, along with having it running Handbrake ~20 hours a day.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Sorry for thread hijack, but in a similar setup, could a mini/server be used to hold an iPhoto library for use by multiple Macs on the network?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
OR, even though rated at a higher speed, will this single stick of RAM that I have from my old 2010 iMac work in the 2010 Mini?

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=A66A6080A5CA7304

You talk about using the Mini, but the new Mini doesn't have a DVD slot, and can support the faster 1333Mhz that you linked to above.

Go with the new base Mini at $599 vs an older version, IMO.

I'll probably be getting the base Mini for a very similar use as you are considering. Strictly a media server, and will probably move my iTunes to it, as well.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
You talk about using the Mini, but the new Mini doesn't have a DVD slot, and can support the faster 1333Mhz that you linked to above.

Go with the new base Mini at $599 vs an older version, IMO.

I'll probably be getting the base Mini for a very similar use as you are considering. Strictly a media server, and will probably move my iTunes to it, as well.

The new 2011 model is definitely sweeter, but I am thinking of getting a 2010 model for $400 from a guy on CL and I do like the fact that it has the superdrive already.

I am tempted by that new $599 model and just connecting an external drive though. But for it's purposes, the 2010 would probably be fine. Just hoping to use a stick of RAM that I already have in-hand.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
The new 2011 model is definitely sweeter, but I am thinking of getting a 2010 model for $400 from a guy on CL and I do like the fact that it has the superdrive already.

I am tempted by that new $599 model and just connecting an external drive though. But for it's purposes, the 2010 would probably be fine. Just hoping to use a stick of RAM that I already have in-hand.
The additional power of the 2011 model is well worth the upgrade in price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.