Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phlebas8717

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Chicago
I ordered a new MBP last week and it should be, assuming everything goes according to plan, in my loving care by this Friday. I have two quick questions. 1) Since my copy of SL will be totally pristine, is there any practical difference between installing Lion on top of my clean install of SL or creating a Lion boot up disc and then formating my HD and installing Lion through the boot up disc? 2) My current MBP is a late 2006 running 10.5.8. Will I be able to import my setting from 10.5.8 to 10.7.0 through Time Machine? Basically, I want to import my Safari Bookmarks, my Mail settings and my iTunes Media Library while manually handling everything else. Can these be done? If it can be done, would doing this defeat the purpose of a clean install?

Thanks for your help.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2008
I ordered a new MBP last week and it should be, assuming everything goes according to plan, in my loving care by this Friday. I have two quick questions. 1) Since my copy of SL will be totally pristine, is there any practical difference between installing Lion on top of my clean install of SL or creating a Lion boot up disc and then formating my HD and installing Lion through the boot up disc? 2) My current MBP is a late 2006 running 10.5.8. Will I be able to import my setting from 10.5.8 to 10.7.0 through Time Machine? Basically, I want to import my Safari Bookmarks, my Mail settings and my iTunes Media Library while manually handling everything else. Can these be done? If it can be done, would doing this defeat the purpose of a clean install?

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

1) Personally I would recommend to create a Lion boot disc and do a fresh install. Yet because your SL is untouched, you might save some time by just doing a upgrade.

2) I believe you need the latest 10.6.X in order to transfer files to Lion in a compatible way. The migration tool as just been updated yesterday. To import, I do not see that being a problem as long you follow Apple steps.

A clean install is especially good for anybody using SL for a while, and some problems appears.

Phlebas8717

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Chicago
Hi,

1) Personally I would recommend to create a Lion boot disc and do a fresh install. Yet because your SL is untouched, you might save some time by just doing a upgrade.

2) I believe you need the latest 10.6.X in order to transfer files to Lion in a compatible way. The migration tool as just been updated yesterday. To import, I do not see that being a problem as long you follow Apple steps.

A clean install is especially good for anybody using SL for a while, and some problems appears.

Thanks for the advice. I have never had a Mac with the OS running off a SSD. How do I make sure I install the OS on the SSD and not the normal HD?

joegolo

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Similar question

I have the a 2010 MBP running 10.6.8. I believe I initially transferred stuff over from my 07 MB using Time Machine. Is there a benefit to performing a clean install and then importing via Time Machine? Does that negate the entire benefit of the clean install? Just a pain to reinstall Lightroom and all those apps.

Thanks!
Joe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.