Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eriksc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Does anyone know how we should purchase Lion for our company? We have 10 mac's around here, and just 1 itunes account that is connected to the business' creditcard..

We could just buy one copy, burn it to dvd and install it to all the macs.. but that doesn't seem very legal to me..

For what i've read in some Apple documents, the apple store for business only allows purchasing with a minimum of 20 licenses. So that is not really an option for us..

Ragnar-Kon

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2011
We have not received any licensing details for our University either, and we are using a MUCH larger deployment (~80 Macs, 5 Mac servers).

Apple has always considered a single household a maximum of 5 computers. Since they brag you can buy one copy for every Mac in your house with Lion, I would go ahead and assume they are expecting no more than 5 computers. Therefore, if you buy two copies you should be safe.

BUT, it is a bad idea to upgrade to a new operating system right away anyway if you rely on your computers to make money. You could run into some bad bugs that could prevent your business from operating efficiently. So I would wait for the first round of bugs fixes, and hopefully the licensing details will be released by then.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
You're right about the business licensing being for a minimum of 20 computers. So probably the only legal way to do it is to buy two liscenses, if the app store doesn't want to let you do that with one account I'd recommend calling apple support and explaining what you are trying to do and see what they say. Also wait for the first one or two point upgrades if you need your computers to be completely stable.

eriksc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for the replies, we'll surely test it out first and wait a couple of months for the first bugs to be fixed.. but as I was reading the specs for business licenses I was just wondering how we should do it for our business.

But as I see I'm not the only one wondering about this issue. I'll contact Apple Support when Lion is released to ask for a good solution..

geko29

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
We have eight to upgrade, so we just plunked down the $600 for twenty licenses. We've spent so much time/money making sure we're compliant with all our other licensed software, doesn't seem worth the risk for $360.

Now I just gotta figure out when/where they'll send us the code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.