PDA

View Full Version : Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, et al.

job
Sep 26, 2002, 12:32 PM
Anyone here play these games?

I just purchased Icewind Dale at the Houston Apple store and have been playing it constantly.. :D

I just wish you could change the screen resolution though...

macktheknife
Sep 26, 2002, 01:01 PM
I played BG 2 on my old Dell laptop, and it was great! I got really hooked after playing for a few hours, but I must admit that it got old after awhile. With the story being very-nonlinear (meaning that while there is an overall plot, you can do pretty much what you want in between), it was hard to feel motivated to play other than boosting your stats.

Anyhow, if you do play BG 2, I recommend you play as a Vampire Hunter. There are a ton of Vampires in BG 2 (and they're very integral to the story), so the immunity to Level Drain will come in real handy.

Good luck!

job
Sep 26, 2002, 05:34 PM
Yeah, the lack of any real plot led to my purchase of Icewind Dale..

The story line in Icewind Dale is pretty fun. I got tired of all the fancy graphics in Wc3. So I'm going old skool ;)

I wonder if I will be able to export my Icewind Dale characters into BG2.

diorio
Sep 26, 2002, 05:53 PM
What kinds of games are these?

job
Sep 26, 2002, 06:22 PM
These are "old-skool" style isometric Role-Playing Games.

They use the Advanced Dungons and Dragons RPG rules. It's kinda fun in a bizzare way.

If you liked Lord of the Rings...

Durandal7
Sep 26, 2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by hitman

That's a good way to get him interested :p

topicolo
Sep 26, 2002, 07:31 PM
Yeah, the lack of any real plot led to my purchase of Icewind Dale..

The story line in Icewind Dale is pretty fun. I got tired of all the fancy graphics in Wc3. So I'm going old skool ;)

I wonder if I will be able to export my Icewind Dale characters into BG2.

I can't believe you're saying that! The Baldur's Gate series may just have one of the best plots in any game released in gaming history! I find it hard to name even 1 other game that has a storyline that stretches between two full games and an expansion pack. The BG series was amazing because of its plot. I'm still voting for BG2 and its expansion pack as one of the best games ever.

shadowfax
Sep 26, 2002, 07:57 PM
haha, how about myst for a comparably good/complex plot?

Durandal7
Sep 26, 2002, 09:53 PM
Marathon series, Myth series, Journeyman series. There are a lot of games with good plots.

Amadeus
Sep 26, 2002, 10:17 PM
I have Icewind Dale. Just finished it the other day. I enjoyed it, but it doesn't even come close to my favorite mac games of all time:

Might and Magic II and Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge

Now those are excellent RPGs.

-Amadeus

bousozoku
Sep 26, 2002, 10:30 PM
These are "old-skool" style isometric Role-Playing Games.

They use the Advanced Dungons and Dragons RPG rules. It's kinda fun in a bizzare way.

Old-skool?

Try the Infocom text-based adventure games. :D Now those are old.

SkidMarkJones
Sep 27, 2002, 12:26 AM
not a damn chance that this is a good series to play.....diablo II is waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy better....believe it....ass to ass

job
Sep 27, 2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by topicolo

I can't believe you're saying that!

I just meant that the non-linear gameplay was fun, it got a little mundane at times; I only played a little of BG1. I just like Icewind Dale more at the moment.

Nipsy
Sep 27, 2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7
Marathon series, Myth series, Journeyman series. There are a lot of games with good plots.

Marathon...that was just a levels based first person shooter, with a hint of plot thrown in.

I played Myth II, and thought it was primarily a plotless melee game, with an online component.

Journeyman, I don't know.

When I think of plot based RPGs, I think of REAL old shool games like Wizardy, Might & Magic, Ultima, etc. These were progressive plot, with a semi linear plot line, but many sequences and methods to get through the game.

job
Sep 27, 2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy

Marathon...that was just a levels based first person shooter, with a hint of plot thrown in.

:eek: Are you kidding me? :eek:

Oh God, here we go...

"a hint of a plot..?"

Durandal, you want to answer this guy? ;)

Nipsy
Sep 27, 2002, 09:41 PM
Well, I played through Marathon 1 & 2, and they were not plot driven games. They were FPS games, with a storyline.

Both iterations were about shooting things with a variety of weapons, following in one direction, completing levels.

A modern equivalent would be somthing like Oni.

For me a plot driven game has a beginning, several endings, and a myriad number of ways to get there, intertwined, but not in rigid order.

job
Sep 27, 2002, 09:44 PM
Heh, I'm just messing with you man.. :p :D

I always thought that Marathon was more cerebral (with the A.I., Durandal, Tycho, etc) than Quake or Doom...

Durandal7
Sep 28, 2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy
Well, I played through Marathon 1 & 2, and they were not plot driven games. They were FPS games, with a storyline.
That's because you paid no attention to the terminal screens except to see what you had to shoot on the level :rolleyes:

diorio
Sep 30, 2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7

That's a good way to get him interested :p

Lord of the Rings is the shiot:D

job
Sep 30, 2002, 06:33 PM
Then you will probably like RPGs like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

They have a lot more than just a few magic rings of power... ;) :p

I'd pick up a copy of either game if you see it for a good price (i.e. $19)

In fact, the new Inside Mac Games Ultimate Anthology (http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=6334) has Red Faction, Baldur's Gate + Expansion, and F/A-18 Hornet for $29.99

I might consider that a steal.. :D :p