Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a report just yesterday claiming that Apple appeared to be phasing out the white MacBook in favor of the entry-level MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models, Apple today has done just that, removing the machine from the list of product lines on its Mac page.

macbook_2010_notext.jpg

The white MacBook had been sold for $999, a price matched by the entry-level MacBook Air, but the MacBook Air offers a smaller display, less storage and connectivity, and no optical drive. On the flip side, the MacBook Air of course offers a sleeker profile and increased portability, and is more in line with Apple's current design aesthetic.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues White MacBook

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
That hunk of plastic didn't belong in the Mac lineup anymore. Still it was a nice way to get a 13" mac for under a grand.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I did think the white macbook wasn't going to last long, it was the only machine they sold that didn't fit in terms of design.

Definite shame to see it go but it was inevitable. I can't see the lowest MBA picking up the slack though, it's far too limited by comparison.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
The death of the MacBook reduced the price of the MBA by £20 or so in the UK, so its a good thing ;)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
There are no plastic Macs. RIP.

Is this the first time that has ever been true?

S.Jobs

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010
Pittsburgh
So Apple's entry level computer for desktop and laptop do not have optical drives. Interesting move Apple. Will this move up to line. But the MacBook will be missed.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Goodbye, old friend. It was nice knowing you. Enjoy your time in Mac heaven!

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I feel Apple could have reduced the price competitively instead of just discontinuing it. I think Apple needs a low end laptop to gain more adopters.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I don't get it. Apple's best selling laptop discontinued and nothing to replace it. No more low end laptop for under a grand (11" pocket book does not count). The cheapest 13" now costs 200€ more.

litchie

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Sad to see it go. I have been very happy with my MacBook for the last three years, though the original battery doesn't live up to today.

After all it is understandable move. It is not worth the trouble to keep different models, seeing that iPad has been eating up laptop business.

zero-beat

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
I'll miss it, though it wasnt shinny like a 'real' macbook, it was apart of the family. Like kicking the black sheep out of the family :/

I thought it was cute tech wise :p

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
RIP old White MacBook, my first entry into the OS X world, and still using it 4 years later

Roll on hopefull upgrading to a nice new iMac later in the year :D

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
For me, the MacBook Air is a second-choice notebook. It does not offer an optical drive, has a smaller screen, has less hard-drive capacity and a worse graphics performance than the MacBook. What would be the compelling reason to go for the MacBook Air over a solid notebook that has everything I need? The MacBook is just no replacement for the MacBook.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Nuts, and I just sent in a tip because I didn't see it on page 1.

While I never would have actually bought the MacBook, nor do I think many others would have, I feel like Apple should have left it on their website.

With the nice compromise of features the MacBook Air lacks and a price lower than the MacBook Pro's, it keeps newcomers in the store long enough to check out Apple's other products. Without it, newcomers will just flee before they stop and think about the features MBP is offering at its price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.