Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

o'glory

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Canada
I was eagerly looking forward to downloading Lion on my computer. Yes the whole works, sleepless nights, waking extra hours, and so on. This morning I was thrilled to see it was released, but when I went to download, it told me I needed 2GB of Memory - I only have 1GB.

Is there any way to get more memory on my iMac?

Memory: 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

nick123222

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2009
Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom
What iMac do you have? Use this to check if you can upgrade and then upgrade to the highest amount that you can. If you don't know how to upgrade RAM yourself, don't buy any. Just take the mac to an Apple store and they will do it for you.

o'glory

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Canada
What iMac do you have? Use this to check if you can upgrade and then upgrade to the highest amount that you can. If you don't know how to upgrade RAM yourself, don't buy any. Just take the mac to an Apple store and they will do it for you.

I think I meet all the other requirements.
Intel Core 2 Duo. And I'm running 10.6.8.

How much does it cost for more RAM?

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Ram is really cheap. Check Newegg or OWC for low prices. You'll want to upgrade to as much ram as your system supports for best performance. Honestly, if you have only 1 gig currently you should notice quite an increase in performance moving to 4 gigs.

o'glory

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Canada
Ram is really cheap. Check Newegg or OWC for low prices. You'll want to upgrade to as much ram as your system supports for best performance. Honestly, if you have only 1 gig currently you should notice quite an increase in performance moving to 4 gigs.

Can I buy it at the Apple Retail Store, or would it probably be more expensive there?

And do you have to pay to put the RAM in the iMac? Lol.

nick123222

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2009
Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom
Can I buy it at the Apple Retail Store, or would it probably be more expensive there?

If you don't know what you are doing search for a guide to upgrading RAM (search lifehacker maybe). Find the user guide for your Mac as it will also explain in there. Use the tool I linked as that will tell you what you can upgrade to and recommend particular RAM from Crucial. If you can't work it out, just have an Apple store do it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

It's more expensive to buy RAM directly from the Apple Retail Store, and if you want them to install it, yes, there is a charge.

IMO, if you can operate a screw driver and have ever inserted a game cartridge into a console before, you're capable of upgrading the RAM on your iMac yourself.

There are TONS of how-to guides/videos that will show you step-by-step how to do it. Google it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.