Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyle1320

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
In my own little world
I just upgraded to Lion, and when I'm running Minecraft, whenever I'm pointed about diagonally in any direction, the side of my arm goes black. Also in my hotbar and inventory, the sides of blocks are black. Anyone else have this issue? I was planning on making a tutorial for something today but now I don't want to record it with these issues. I haven't seen any other issues so far though.

TomMDev

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Is your graphics card the Intel HD3000?
I've had the same problem with it, although with the 6750M on my computer I never had this issue.

izod1991

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
I have the same issue with my 2011 MBP 13", but I'm also experiencing significant lag when trying to place blocks (it's a good second or more before the block appears after clicking). I think it might be an issue with java support for Lion.

PicanteGamer

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
I've been using the final version of Lion for the last couple of weeks on my 2011 MBP and have noticed these same issues in Minecraft. It's some kind of graphics driver bug that hopefully will be fixed. Starcraft 2 also has some graphical weirdness. A lot of the colors in the UI are messed up. I have noticed that this new driver does perform quite a bit better, which is welcome, but I do hope that 10.7.1 includes a driver with fixes for these bugs.

BoBzO

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
RAdelaide, South Australia
I have been having this exact problem. I originally thought it was MCPatcher or my texture pack, but reading through this thread, it seems obvious that Mac has screwed something up (quite possibly on purpose?) to do this. I would imagine that Notch knows of this problem, seeing as though he, himself owns a MacBook Air, and knowing him and his ton of unused money, I would bet that he owns OSX Lion. Hopefully in the next update, major or minor, he will fix this annoying bug.

gofightlose

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
I have the same issue with my 2011 MBP 13", but I'm also experiencing significant lag when trying to place blocks (it's a good second or more before the block appears after clicking). I think it might be an issue with java support for Lion.

Haha. glad to see so many other mac users are into minecraft. The same issue here and I thought it could be the texture pack as well, but I'm guessing it's more of a java thing that minecraft will have to clear up themselves. The 'lag' when placing blocks is actually from the delayed 2-finger touch for menu that lion put in place, try right clicking and the menu is delayed popping up...i had to go out and buy a mouse because it bothered me so much. but if you don't use tap and instead push down for right click on the trackpad it works!

EDIT: to make the right click faster go into systempref>trackpad>scroll&zoom> and disable smart zoom and it's back to normal!

Last edited:

cheetodude24

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
I got the same problem too! I have a 2011 13' Macbook Pro with the Intel HD 3000 graphics card. I though it was Minecraft being stupid and buggy, but it turns out (after hours of reinstalling Minecraft) that the problem was how the processor, Minecraft, and Mac OS X Lion worked together. Apple and/or Notch should really try to update Minecraft so this problem never appears. I know Notch has some knowledge about the issue, but Apple, being so ignorant, decided to release a buggy software. Not blaming anyone, btw. But in the end, it feels good that i'm not the only one with the problem. :D

izod1991

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
EDIT: to make the right click faster go into systempref>trackpad>scroll&zoom> and disable smart zoom and it's back to normal!

That fixed it! Thanks! :D

There still seems to be a few rendering issues (sides of blocks occasionally being black), but I'm sure an update will eventually fix it.

rcalderoni

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
I just recently upgraded from the 2010 MBA with the 320m to the 2011 MB with the i7 and HD 3000. It's WAY WAY faster and smoother for Minecraft, but I am getting the black faced objects when they spin at certain angles like you have described. I did NOT have this issue with Lion/320M. It must be some ****** Intel graphics drivers. I am glad this thing is way faster and has the backlit keyboard (and 4GB of RAM instead of 2GB) but this graphics glitch is REALLY annoying and pathetic. Hopefully I don't get problems with WoW.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This sounds like a driver bug. Hopefully Apple will fix it in a forthcoming 10.7.x update. In the meanwhile though... I feel your pain! That's got to be annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.