Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Ok, so I just used WireTap to capture the Mint Royale remix of Singin' in the Rain from the British VW commercial (WireTap was free and AudioJack wasn't, do they both do as good a job?). The capture saved in 1411 AIFF and is a minute long. I didn't even think to look at the file size and I wanted to send it to a friend, so I converted it to 320 AAC. When I got ready to send it, I discovered that the AIFF was only 2.72 MB and the AAC was 2.37, so not worth the difference convert. I figured I'd convert it to WAV just to make sure my friends with windows would have no problem with it (yes, I know AIFF is a pretty standard format, but they don't). Well the WAV turned out to be a 10.3 MB file. I then converted the original AIFF (2.72MB) to AIFF in iTunes and it turned out as 10.3MB. So what exactly is going on? Why is the original AIFF 2.72 and how can I convert that to a 10.3 MB WAV or AIFF?

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
By the way, the 2.72 MB file is listed as .aiff while the 10.3 MB file is listed as .aif

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Both aiff and wav can offer different sample and bit rates within the standard, it's likely that the aiff you originally had was a 22.05Khz, mono file, and the WAV you created was at 44.1Khz and stereo.

Actually, aiff will down sample to 11.025Khz, which is a very similar bitrate to 320AAC, so that might be you answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.