Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDTyKe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Hawaii, USA
Hey

Seems this new 'sorting' button
- UI for the columns is sexy
- But I cannot resize my columns.. Any ideas? Am I missing something

When I sort it by Size for example, with my default Finder size I cannot even see the Sizes.. (9....MB) for example. Logic would tell me that I could resize the columns surely? (A loophole is resizing the Finder window but that isn't acceptable).

Anyone else got this? And can bug report? The Apple bug report system only allows 10.6.x reports right now.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
View menu > Arrange By > None

That will bring back the old list view. Or you can just choose the sorting from that Arrange By submenu if you want to keep the new list view.

MDTyKe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Hawaii, USA
Apple Feedback doesn't allow Lion bug reports..

You can only select 10.6.7 or 10.6.8.. This is crazy.

MDTyKe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Hawaii, USA
No.

Does anyone know if this *is* a bug.. I mean surely it's common sense to be able to resize my columns?

Anyone confirm or who can file a bug report?

bloijs

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
USA
If I use "Arrange By..." I can't change the column width, either. So this may be intentional.
Question: With "Arrange By..."->"None", can you double-click the column separators to have them automatically resize? Because that's not working for me, and it's very irritating.

stoopkitty

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
No.

Does anyone know if this *is* a bug.. I mean surely it's common sense to be able to resize my columns?

Anyone confirm or who can file a bug report?

Y'know, apple is just taking the next step. giving users the ability to resize columns really just overcomplicates the UI. soon, no one will ever resize columns- apple is just one step ahead of everyone else.

god i ****ing hate this its so ****ing annoying why do i have to switch back to the old ui if i want to use it. ****ing ********.

Revearti

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
Resize Then Arrange

It is annoying that it isn't available in each setting. In the meantime, you can Arrange By None, resize your columns, then Arrange By Whatever, and it will remember your column size.

fdp-at-sealevel

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
there is a way in 10.7

At the bottom of the columns you can see tinny double lines. Those are the handlers to adjust the column width...:)

glint

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
Just good enough workaround

If you set your "Arrange By" to none, you are able to resize the columns and then click on the column header to "arrange by" ascending or descending order for each column. The sizing is preserved.

I don't really understand why resizing is not available when you've merely selected "arrange by" from the drop down ???

scorwitz

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Apple's not so genius bar

Just another example of how conceit and overconfidence have resulted in a less than perfect product. How about you let me decide what I do and don't want to do instead of deciding for me because "you know better".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.