Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jameshk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
is MBA have 400mbps?? vs vertex 3? or vs vertex 2?? which one faster??
anyone own MBA can do benchmark on the write n read point??:confused:

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I have the same curiosity to know the answer to this ---

Tests show the new 2011 13" 256GB SSD to be much faster than the 128GB SSD on the 11" -- which leads me to believe Apple adopted the faster SSD technology on the new 13" (maybe only the 256GB) and not the 11"

Maybe the 11" 256GB SSD has the faster speed as well. I don't have enough information to know this yet.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
is MBA have 400mbps?? vs vertex 3? or vs vertex 2?? which one faster??
anyone own MBA can do benchmark on the write n read point??:confused:

Don't purchase an OCZ Vertex 2 or Vertex 3 unless if you want a broken SSD relatively quickly.

I've gone through two of those things, and the third I sold. I did my research and found that they claim that 1 in 100 are faulty (an OCZ rep said that on their RMA website). But they also said that nine out of ten times, the drives that are sent in to their RMA department are not deemed as "faulty", rather they are deemed as "panic locked". The difference: None. Panic lock means the drive has to be sent in for repair anyway, as the consumer cannot unlock it.

So their 1% failure rate just climbed 10 fold. And they just admitted this. They said only 1% fail, and 9/10 times what is RMA'd is "panic locked" (must be sent in anyways). So 10% of the SSD's are admittedly bad.

On top of this, they are fudging their numbers. They have a much larger failure rate. For every 1% they've fudged away, that's an extra 10% of the SSD's they sell that end up RMA'd.

Just a heads up: Don't buy OCZ! You'll get burned.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
I already knew Sandforce (OCZ) drives show bad reliability on Newegg. But that was interesting to read Paul.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Don't purchase an OCZ Vertex 2 or Vertex 3 unless if you want a broken SSD relatively quickly.

This is dumb. I have a Vertex 3 MAX IOPS, no issues. I owned a Vertex 2 (2 of them) no issues EVER and also a Vertex for 2yrs with no issues EVER.

Mikael

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden
I think this rumor was just some sort of misunderstanding somewhere. The 400MB/s figure was probable supposed to be 400Mb/s (=50MB/s), referring to each NAND chip's maximum speed. An SSD is composed of several NAND chips and a controller, thus achieving higher transfer speeds than what a single chip can.

So, without knowing anything about Apple's implementation of these chips (i.e. how many of them, which controller, etc.), there's not much we can say about it.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
This is dumb. I have a Vertex 3 MAX IOPS, no issues. I owned a Vertex 2 (2 of them) no issues EVER and also a Vertex for 2yrs with no issues EVER.

Ohhh of course! Your anecdotal evidence is ground-breaking and sets the rules of the world for everyone around you. -_-

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I think this rumor was just some sort of misunderstanding somewhere. The 400MB/s figure was probable supposed to be 400Mb/s (=50MB/s), referring to each NAND chip's maximum speed. An SSD is composed of several NAND chips and a controller, thus achieving higher transfer speeds than what a single chip can.

So, without knowing anything about Apple's implementation of these chips (i.e. how many of them, which controller, etc.), there's not much we can say about it.

Isn't 50MB/s the same as a standard hard drive? That seems very slow for a SSD to me.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Whatever chip is in the new MBA's it's quick

Certainly quicker than last years model judging by the benchmarks on laptopmag IF, they are correct and not made up for link bait.

jameshk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
how do u check vertex 3 algility got error??? i bought 1 vertex 3 and 1 corsair F120...planning to get mba but 50mbps seem very slow....but on youtube i see other people boot up mac very fast...how come??:confused:

jameshk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
and my macbook pro 15" i install corsair F120...i install window7 system only...and when i boot up the white screen seem abit longer to get in windows...is there any setting i need to do? or my ssd got problem?? :confused:

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
how do u check vertex 3 algility got error??? i bought 1 vertex 3 and 1 corsair F120...planning to get mba but 50mbps seem very slow....but on youtube i see other people boot up mac very fast...how come??:confused:

The normal MBA SSDs do 200 - 260 MB/sec.

In real world performance it feels as fast as Vertex 3. I've owned both.

The only thing that's noticeably faster with SATA III drives is file copies.

and my macbook pro 15" i install corsair F120...i install window7 system only...and when i boot up the white screen seem abit longer to get in windows...is there any setting i need to do? or my ssd got problem?? :confused:

Windows 7 will never boot fast on MBP unfortunately. Even Vertex 3 and Crucial M4 took 25 - 28 seconds on my MBP.

On a Windows laptop they can boot in ± 11 seconds.

jameshk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
paul said ocz alot error...what kind of error is that??and how do i check it??i still got warranty wanna change it if got problem..tq

jameshk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
>_<" sometime i running window7 and idle too long the display card will stop respond awhile...is this the ssd problem??or i need to update my mbp 15 driver? i dunno where to upgrade it... >_<"

Mikael

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden
Isn't 50MB/s the same as a standard hard drive? That seems very slow for a SSD to me.
As I said in my post, an SSD doesn't just use one of those 50MB/s NAND chips. Combining several of them, you can get transfer speeds of several hundred megabytes per second. Without knowing those details for the Air's SSD, we can't really say much.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
>_<" sometime i running window7 and idle too long the display card will stop respond awhile...is this the ssd problem??or i need to update my mbp 15 driver? i dunno where to upgrade it... >_<"

Not sure what you mean but if you experiences freezing, you need to update the firmware on your SSD.

Last version for OCZ Agility 3/Vertex 3 is 2.09.

Firmware updates are explained on OCZ forums... but it ain't easy.

jameshk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
where can i check my ssd version?? and where can i update mbp 15 driver??:confused:

jameshk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
sorry...i install vertex 3 ssd i direct install window7 only...mac system didn't put on it..coz 120gb space so limit for me...sorry..can window7 check?and the bootcamp how to update??can't find update button on it... >_<"

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
Oh yes. Use Crystal Disk Info. It will tell you what firmware you're using.

Apple software updater should update your bootcamp.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
Start, Programs, Apple Software Update.

If you don't see it there it should be listed under 'Program Files (x86)' on your bootcamp hard drive.

jameshk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
hah...icon so near me also can't find....damn XXXX me
thanks phil...i own ya...got chance i wanna treat u a meal.. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.