Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

askabob91

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Does anyone else think the iOS spell check is stupid to include on a computer based web browser? Selecting one of the suggested words requires me moving my cursor, which is difficult since I have both my hands on the keyboard!

I think Apple is taking this iOS integration too far - a computer is not an iPad and thus should not be forced to function like one!

pnd4pnd

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
has anyone tried spell check under ms word? its not only not working, right clicking doesn't give the option to correct anymore...

uuaschbaer

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
You can press the down arrow key when the suggestions pop up, select one with the left and right arrow keys and press enter; no leaving keyboard necessary.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
You can press backspace after you move past the underlined word for a little popup (or use the arrow keys to get to the word). Some apps have shortcuts to get to the new spellings.

I think it is awesome :D!

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
been trying to turn this off but can't see a way to do it

some words it auto changes, others it just puts a red line under them

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I actually like it. I do agree, I think Apple is trying to make Lion too much like an iPad.

the principle of it i don't mind

but I am a terrible speller and look at the keyboard while typing

so use the underline as a way of seeing what i spelt wrongly, when it auto changes something i have to read through the whole thing to see if there are any wrong words

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
IT SUCKS. Great for kids who have spent more time txting than reading, but for me to have to stop typing and move my cursor or go back and re-enter a word that I typed correctly and intentionally is about to make me blow my freakin top. I am going to be PISSED until I find a way to turn this crap off especially in Safari. System prefs is auto-correct off, and should be by default as well.

APPLE!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.