Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Little Angel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Can anyone tell me if this is a bug, new feature or I need to change a setting?
Previously after typing email I have my spell check set to check prior to sending. When I clicked send the spell check box would disappear. Now after email has sent it is still there on screen.
How do I get it to close when email sent?
TIA,
LA

pillowcaser

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
more lion spell check strangeness - doesn't send and sends to early

I have noticed the same problem of the spell checker window close not prompting the message to send. You can click on the send button again and it sends, but rather annoying. It feels like a bug to me.

Related to this I have also noticed another behavior that is driving me crazy. Please, anyone, help if you know the solution or can explain how to avoid.

When the check spelling box comes up (again with it set to check before sending), and it gives you a suggestion, but the correct suggestion is not there, I am used to clicking my curser in to the main message body and fixing it then returning back to the checker window and clicking next etc.

In Lion, however, if you put your curser in the main body, then it seems that any key you hit prompts the message to send right after registering that key.

the end result is your message is sent prematurely without having finished your spell check, and often even the edit your doing is only part way done.

Am I missing following a behavioral pattern that makes sense to other users to solve problems in a pre-send spell check like:

"the road" being mistyped as "th eroad" with no suggestion that fixes the typo?

RichMacUser

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Yes, I have same problem with spell check in Lion mail

Yes Pillowcaser. I have the same problem with the mac mail in Lion that you describe in your text. Very annoying that the spell check actually causes you to send incorrectly worded emails.

Does anyone have a way to address this?

RichMacUser

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Update

I spoke to Apple. We changed Mail->Preferences->Composing: Check Spelling changed to As I Type option. Also click Apple in upper left, then System Preferences-> Language and Text -> Text Tab -> Correct Spelling Automatically).

This avoids the issue of having the spell checker pop up after the email is sent (and sending incomplete changes by email).

Hope this makes sense.

sfirestein

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
spell check bugs

this is an incredibly annoying bug. surely Mac is working on a fix, but what could be taking them so long? The spell check function is worse than useless as it stands.

andrei2005

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
check spelling in mail Lion

Yes Pillowcaser. I have the same problem with the mac mail in Lion that you describe in your text. Very annoying that the spell check actually causes you to send incorrectly worded emails.

Does anyone have a way to address this?

Hi friends

For us, it's an even stranger situation:
4 new iMacs 2011 bought beginning of december, with Lion preinstalled. Only for one mail check spelling is working well. For the three others, same symptoms.
Possibly? it would be due to the import of mail and settings? We used Tiger on older macs (iMac C4). The mac where check spelling is working had the import not from a G4 machine, but from a G5 machine...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.