Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micawoli

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Hello,

I had a question about upgrading to lion. I was so excited to download and install lion on my black macbook (i think it's a late 2007 model). However, when I clicked the buy button, a message popped up saying that lion requires 2gb of memory. I quickly went to my about this mac application to confirm this, and sure enough my computer only packs 1gb of memory. I was terribly disappointed. Apple found a way to basically make me get a new laptop.

I haven't really started looking around, but only because I wanted to come here first to get you guys or ladies opinions.

Would it be better to just buy extra memory to keep my macbook? Or would I just be better off caving in and getting a new laptop like an Air or macbook pro?

Any help would be great!

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
Just buy more RAM, 4GB goes cheap now and your processor is definitely ok to run lion. As an additional upgrade I would buy an SSD like intels 320 series. The combination of 4GB RAM + SSD will make you feel like you have a new laptop.

micawoli

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2010
do you know how much that would run me?

Any suggestions on where to get these from?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm not as computer savvy as I thought...:eek:

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
do you know how much that would run me?

Any suggestions on where to get these from?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm not as computer savvy as I thought...:eek:

I got a 2007 MacBook used a few weeks ago. Got ram from the local best buy, (went with 4 gigs) and also installed a 500 gig HD all for $120.

Search the forums for the how to, it is really easy to upgrade these MacBooks. I got it all done (including carbon copying the old drive to the new one) in less than 2 hours.

(edit) I also installed Lion this morning and all is running great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.