PDA

View Full Version : Can permanently running the OS from firewire HDD cause harm?

Cox Orange
Jul 20, 2011, 04:54 PM
Sorry, for asking such a novice-like question...
I started up my Macs from an external drive a few times or used one connected to the other in target mode, but now I am running my iMac G3 DV constantly (every time I boot it up to use it) from an external firewire Drive, where I have put a backup of my ibook G4's OS on.

I know I could easily install a bigger drive in the iMac, but I don't want to at the moment and I don't want to overwrite the disk as well.

Will booting from the external firewire-drive be the same as "normal" (system-stability wise) or does it any harm, when done every time?

simsaladimbamba
Jul 20, 2011, 04:57 PM
As external HDD enclosures use the same HDDs as the ones used internally, there is no difference, you are just limited to the speed of the interface, which is FW400 (35 to 40 MB/s). You will do no harm doing this.

raysfan81
Jul 20, 2011, 08:45 PM
As external HDD enclosures use the same HDDs as the ones used internally, there is no difference, you are just limited to the speed of the interface, which is FW400 (35 to 40 MB/s). You will do no harm doing this.

Yep and if you were to use an internal HD on most later PPC macs (except for the G5) the transfer speed would be 100 mb/s.

Cox Orange
Jul 21, 2011, 07:11 AM
Thank you! Well, I knew 3,5" HDs are 3,5" HDs, but I thought the OS would be confused or something :)

@rysfan81: do you mean mb/s = MB/s ?

My iMac DV has an ATA-33 internal connector, so I guess the firewire-connection will have about the same speed...!?!

raysfan81
Jul 21, 2011, 02:31 PM
Thank you! Well, I knew 3,5" HDs are 3,5" HDs, but I thought the OS would be confused or something :)

@rysfan81: do you mean mb/s = MB/s ?

My iMac DV has an ATA-33 internal connector, so I guess the firewire-connection will have about the same speed...!?!

Yeah thats what I meant and I was referring to the iBook. So yeah I would think that since the iMac has ATA-33 the speed should be be similar using a firewire hd.