Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmodamagicmofo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
As title says, I have upgraded to Lion but it is pretty slow and I'd rather do a clean install to help tidy things up and speed it up. I have the a disc burnt of the dmg but don't really know what to do now. Could someone walk me through a detailed process for doing a clean install and restore from time machine backup at this point? Much of what I've read pertains to creating partitions, something I've never done before.

Regaj

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Virginia
Why would you want to do a clean install, only then to restore from time machine? Rather defeats the purpose.

As to how, you should be able to use disk utility from your SL install disk to format your drive, then boot from the lion image to begin the installation.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
even easier solution now guys...

since you already upgraded to lion there is a hidden partition with everything necessary to do a reinstall, INCLUDING A CLEAN INSTALL, already ON YOUR HARD DRIVE. simply reboot holding command - R and it will boot into the lion installer, NO INSTALL USB/CD needed! then use disk utilities (from the install menu) to erase your drive followed by CLEAN INSTALL of Lion! Look ma, no install disk! :)

Jmodamagicmofo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Why would you want to do a clean install, only then to restore from time machine? Rather defeats the purpose.

I'm showing my noobishness here, I guess I thought that a clean install followed by a time machine restore would at least leave behind a lot of the fragmentation (?) and the system would run faster. What do people normally do when they clean install? Manually drag files over from the backup drive? That seems like a PITA.

even easier solution now guys...

since you already upgraded to lion there is a hidden partition with everything necessary to do a reinstall, INCLUDING A CLEAN INSTALL, already ON YOUR HARD DRIVE. simply reboot holding command - R and it will boot into the lion installer, NO INSTALL USB/CD needed! then use disk utilities (from the install menu) to erase your drive followed by CLEAN INSTALL of Lion! Look ma, no install disk! :)

good to know. Thanks for the tip!

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
What do people normally do when they clean install? Manually drag files over from the backup drive? That seems like a PITA.

yep, that's what we do. it's also why many never do a clean install, or like me only do a clean install when i put an entire new operating system on, once every 2-3 years. i think it is worth it, but if your machine is running well right now and your satisfied it isn't a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.