Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I've been thinking of buying a used PowerBook G4, just to have if I need to do writing on the road, but I would want to be able to transfer files between it and my intel mac running Lion. Is that still completely compatible? I assume it is.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I've been thinking of buying a used PowerBook G4, just to have if I need to do writing on the road, but I would want to be able to transfer files between it and my intel mac running Lion. Is that still completely compatible? I assume it is.

No way. Lion is intel only and won't even run PPC apps in Rosetta.
Oops, you said files. Documents, music will transfer. Nothing system related is compatible.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
No way. Lion is intel only and won't even run PPC apps in Rosetta.
Oops, you said files. Documents, music will transfer. Nothing system related is compatible.

Well, I'd be running a PPC version of pages on the powerbook... so would that open in a newer version of pages on the intel mac?

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Yes, you'll never be able to run Lion on a PPC system but there's no reason the files won't be compatible. Something like Evernote or Dropbox... or iCloud... would be a great way to keep an updated copy of the files at hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.