Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffnebraska

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
The two-finger swiping between photos, which I use constantly, appears to be disabled in Lion. Even if I turn off the "swipe between pages" gesture, it still doesn't work.

Can anyone else confirm? Any workarounds out there?

jeffnebraska

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
It works fine, look at the preferences for your Magic Trackpad, Trackpad or Magic Mouse.

At what settings? Everything is turned on? Swipe between pages is working fine. Swiping between iPhoto photos is not working at all on either my trackpad or magic mouse.

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
At what settings? Everything is turned on? Swipe between pages is working fine. Swiping between iPhoto photos is not working at all on either my trackpad or magic mouse.

It is still there they have just changed it to 4 finger swipe on the trackpad...i havnt found anything on the magic mouse yet :(

vladinecko

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
Bay Area, CA
3 & 4 fingers move between spaces. 2 fingers now do nothing in iPhoto. i wonder if it's a bug or a dumb feature. either way, i hope they put it back since they're so big on gestures nowadays.

jeffnebraska

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
It is still there they have just changed it to 4 finger swipe on the trackpad...i havnt found anything on the magic mouse yet :(

Not working for me. Whether I set swipe between full screen apps to three fingers or four or off, four fingers does not swipe between photos for me on iPhoto. I think this must be a bug, which would be good, because that means they will soon fix it.

While we're on the topic, how do you get the top and bottom bars to go away when looking at photos. Sometimes they go away on their own, sometimes it seems like a double tap helps, sometimes nothing helps.

Quest4Sanity

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
OK - you want side scrolling back for left and right? Go to the Trackpad settings, go to more gestures. On the "Swipe between pages" click on the drop down arrow and change it to the last option "Swipe with two or three fingers." You'll be able to swipe with 3 fingers between photos left and right. You'll also be able to swipe back and forth in web pages again. I don't know if it's a bug that two finger swiping sideways won't work or what. But that's what you do. There definitely appears to be a bug though in that if you change other options, it'll change that pages option back.

Last edited:

jeffnebraska

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
OK - you want side scrolling back for left and right? Go to the Trackpad settings, go to more gestures. On the "Swipe between pages" click on the drop down arrow and change it to the last option "Swipe with two or three fingers." You'll be able to swipe with 3 fingers between photos left and right. You'll also be able to swipe back and forth in web pages again. I don't know if it's a bug that two finger swiping sideways won't work or what. But that's what you do. There definitely appears to be a bug though in that if you change other options, it'll change that pages option back.

Looking forward to trying this tonight. No Mac at work.

Oddly, I noticed yesterday that when you choose the "two or three" swipe setting, two is the new gradual swipe and three is an instant swipe.

jeffnebraska

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010

You da man. Turning on two or three finger swiping allows three finger swiping between photos in iPhoto.

Here's my theory re this problem. Two finger swiping is now that "gradual swiping" action you get in Safari. iPhoto is not equipped to do that, so it doesn't work there. Three finger swiping is the equivalent of old school two finger swiping, which is why iPhoto gets it.

Incidentally, if you set the Magic Mouse to do either one or two finger swiping, iPhoto also works with a two finger swipe that way. Nice to have that feature back, but then there's no swiping between full screen apps on the Magic Mouse.

Wonder whether (and if so, how) Apple with fix this.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
this works, but is too complicated. very unnatural when you usually are using two fingers to swipe between pages in preview and safari and now you have to use three in iPhoto. it is already quite difficult to remember all these gestures in lion. I don't like the gesture for showing the desktop.

i think this is a 'bug' actually. It will certainly be fixed in the future.

mogens

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
didn't work here too.
Accidently i made a four finger swipe. This worked for both photos and turning pages in book view.

jeffnebraska

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Btw, I'm still looking for an answer as to how to make the top (menu) and bottom (photo set) bars go away when viewing photos in full screen.

Anyone know exactly how that works? It seems very unpredictable to me.

jeffnebraska

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Btw, I'm still looking for an answer as to how to make the top (menu) and bottom (photo set) bars go away when viewing photos in full screen.

Anyone know exactly how that works? It seems very unpredictable to me.

Anyone know the answer to this?

The Bronx Bull

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010

Download the "Better Touch Tool" from the web. Works excellently with the magic mouse. You can define how you want your gestures to work with specific programs on the mouse; for example: I have it set in iPhoto so that a single finger swipe to the left or right moves the photos left or right.

Another one of my favorites is in Safari. I have the magic mouse set so a right side "tap" opens a link in a new tab, and a three finger tap on the surface of the mouse closes the tab. Works awesome, since I'm very much into tabbed browsing.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009

Yep. This works pretty weel. I think it restores most of the 2/3 finger swipes except for the 2-finger swipes in iPhoto. At least this lets you use 3-finger swipes. It is kind of odd how the default setting in Lion didn't support any swiping in iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.