Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kairu83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I am a long time Microsoft/Windows/PC fanboi, but lately with my purchases of my iPhone and iPad, I have been converted! And I am considering purchasing the top end iMac 27in. I mean, the top with most extras (not SSD or 16 gb ram) but 2gb video, 8gb ram and the i7 CPU.

Will this keep me gaming for the next 3-4 years? I don't play crisis or crazy games like that. Mostly WoW, SC2 and soon D3 however, I don't want a new game to come out in the next 3 years that will make me cry because I cannot play it..

Will I be disappointed or cheering? I have heard forever that macs are not for gaming but the specs look ok compared with top end pcs.

I use the computer for gaming mostly but also music, photo editing and work (presentations)

Apple2000

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
It should work max most games out now at 1080p with mid-high settings at 1440p, but I can't speak for the future.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
I think if you get the 2gb radeon 6970m you'll be satisfied. I just ordered mine after seeing it run crysis 2 first hand at someones house and being impressed. I was on the fence, really wanting a new computer (actually needing) but I was hung up about possibe disappointments graphically. Anyway, as I said, I ordered one and it should be here some time next week.

The downside is you'll never be able to upgrade the gpu but in a few years you'll want a new computer anyway. Between the raw power, crazy I/o capabiities compliments of thunderbolt, an absolutely top notch screen, and a great software experience I don't think many people would ever be too disappointed with the current iMac.

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
I've been running an 27" i7 3.4GHz/ 12GB / 2GB 6970M for a couple of months now and it runs all the games I've tried perfectly in both MacOS and Win7 through Bootcamp.

Wow isn't a problem; vsync @60fps and it looks good. Haven't tried SC or Crysis as my other vice is flight sims like Rise of Flight/ DCS A-10 & Cliffs of Dover, all of which are smooth and fluid.

DirectX through windows gives higher framerates as well as looking better imo than MacOS but then that's to be expected.

Overall very happy with my iMac :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.