Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
the screen turns off after a while which is normal, usually moving the mouse would wake it in SL but not in lion.... is there a setting i need to change?

THANKS

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
I think this is a new "feature." You now need to actually click the mouse. It's a tiny change, but it now keeps the display off if it's just an accidental brush against the mouse. I personally like this, many don't.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Has anyone found a way to fix this "feature"?

I have a mac mini in the living room, it has no keyboard...it is controlled with a PS3 controller and Magic Trackpad....wiping and tapping the pad will not wake lion. The only way I can wake it is by tapping the power button on the back...this is annoying.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Has anyone found a way to fix this "feature"?

I have a mac mini in the living room, it has no keyboard...it is controlled with a PS3 controller and Magic Trackpad....wiping and tapping the pad will not wake lion. The only way I can wake it is by tapping the power button on the back...this is annoying.

Click the pad and it will wake, i just did it then on my Magic Trackpad.

cjedj

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
I use the Mac Mini as my media center but controlled with a Harmony Remote and Remote Buddy. The only way I can wake the display is to VNC in from another machine, pressing remote buttons doesn't work, and there is no mouse / keyboard / trackpad to click.

It's really irritating. Can't believe there isn't a way around this...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I'm guessing it's a bug as it doesn't make much sense to have changed it by design. It is annoying though.
As someone who has a desk in his bedroom with his Mac, and a cat that LOVES to freaking jump on it in the middle of the night (jiggling the mouse enough to wake the Mac and turn on the screen), I'm liking this new feature. :D

I do hope they make it a toggleable option though. Definitely see where it's a major PITA for others! :eek:

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
I suppose it's not a big deal, but it did make me think for a while that my laptop had frozen. I'll probably get used to this quickly enough.

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Feature.

Actually i think this is a feature-.

It was damn annoying that each time your table was pushed, or moved by vibrations and so on, it woke the mac up, because the mouse got pushed a tiny bit (especially if you have a high sensitive mouse)..

Im glad its like this now. :)

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I don't like it. I don't like to click or press a button to wake my mini up of fear i might click something on whatever application / document is open. By just moving the mouse i know for sure its a "clean" wakeup.

A tiny issue I know but here again i feel they've fixed something that aint broke. I can see the use in some cases though, they should've made it optional.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
I don't like it. I don't like to click or press a button to wake my mini up of fear i might click something on whatever application / document is open. By just moving the mouse i know for sure its a "clean" wakeup.

A tiny issue I know but here again i feel they've fixed something that aint broke. I can see the use in some cases though, they should've made it optional.

The click it uses to wake up is NOT registered.

Any button press is NOT registered, it only wakes up the computer.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I really like this feature as I use a 27" ACD as my main display with my 15" MBP. The ACD has no sleep or power off function (something I REALLY don't like about the ACD) so I have the energy saver setting to sleep the display after 15 minutes. At night if I would just "touch" the desk (or even just a slight vibration from the floor) the display would come on in all it's room illuminating brightness...now, I actually have to purposefully click the mouse or hit the spacebar of the wireless keyboard (I also now lower the brightness all the way down before retiring for the evening. It doesn't go all the way down like my MBP or my MBA but it goes fairly low)...
I like it! :D

Last edited:

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
The click it uses to wake up is NOT registered.

Any button press is NOT registered, it only wakes up the computer.

The problem can/could be, that you didn't know if your Mac was asleep or just in screen-off mode but still awake, so pressing a key might or might not have sent a keystroke or mouse click to whichever window was open.

I've always used the "shift" key to wake up the computer, as it's always going to be safe.

Personally I like the "don't wake up when mouse gets knocked" "feature". A toggle in System Prefs would be good, I reckon.

I also like that changing tracks on the remote doesn't needlessly wake up the screen any more.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
As someone who has a desk in his bedroom with his Mac, and a cat that LOVES to freaking jump on it in the middle of the night (jiggling the mouse enough to wake the Mac and turn on the screen), I'm liking this new feature. :D

I do hope they make it a toggleable option though. Definitely see where it's a major PITA for others! :eek:

Should def be a choice...not the only method. But they when they changed the side switch on the iPad everyone freaked out and they added a choice.

madmax92104

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
OK, my MBP isn't waking up at all if it goes to sleep. Not with the mouse click, track pad click, space bar, not here or there or any where. It will not wake up Sam I am....I have to hard shutdown to get it to come back up.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
the screen turns off after a while which is normal, usually moving the mouse would wake it in SL but not in lion.... is there a setting i need to change?

THANKS

It has been this way I believe with Snow Leopard as well, but I think in 10.6.8, it allowed the mouse to be moved, which woke the computer.

Now, it seems that in Lion, you have to push or click something. Maybe they worked on this feature in Lion before 10.6.8, which allowed this?

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
:) I like it this way. Always hated that my screen would turn on when the mouse was touched. However, you'd think that there's be an option to enable/disable this feature.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I think this is a new "feature." You now need to actually click the mouse. It's a tiny change, but it now keeps the display off if it's just an accidental brush against the mouse. I personally like this, many don't.

I, as well, like this feature. I was always brushing the mouse after putting it to sleep.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Add me to the "like" column.

I can't tell you how many times I have put my Mac to sleep and then remembered that my fully charged iPod was still plugged in. In SL, I had to unplug the iPod and then re-sleep the Mac. Not so, in Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.