Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeM87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
UK
Hi,

Just a quick one. I have recently purchased a new iMac and have been getting the Kernal Panic screens. When i have installed Lion i got this twice again and when i turned off and back on it said it could be something to do with external hard drives. I have two plugged in. One formatted to OSX is it fat? and one NTFS drive.

Has anyone else had problems with external hard drives and the kernal panic screen? Am going to leave them out tonight and see if i still recieve the same error message.

Any help would be useful on this one.

Thanks

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
Hi,

Just a quick one. I have recently purchased a new iMac and have been getting the Kernal Panic screens. When i have installed Lion i got this twice again and when i turned off and back on it said it could be something to do with external hard drives. I have two plugged in. One formatted to OSX is it fat? and one NTFS drive.

Has anyone else had problems with external hard drives and the kernal panic screen? Am going to leave them out tonight and see if i still recieve the same error message.

Any help would be useful on this one.

Thanks

I have never had kernel panics related to an external hard drive (its HFS for OS X, by the way). If you've been getting Kernel Panics on both operating systems, maybe you actually have a hardware issue with your Mac, which would be unfortunate. If the kernel panics persist without the externals plugged in, I would take it into the Apple store to have it checked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.