PDA

View Full Version : W7 on MBP with no OSX how do I add Lion?

gr4z
Jul 21, 2011, 03:47 AM
Hi
For work reasons I recently blanked my 2010 MBP and put W7 on it and no OSX at all. Now that Lion has been released I am tempted to use it. How can I backup my W7 install, install Lion and then bootcamp W7 and restore my W7 image?

Would simply using the W7 backup & restore tool work as my partitions will be different?

Thanks for any advice.

mantisimo
Jul 21, 2011, 04:02 PM
If I had to guess, I'd download partition magic for windows. Create a partition for Lion. Install Snow Leopard using the discs supplied, and then update to Lion.
I think apple are planning on releasing a usb stick with Lion on in the near future so you will be able to install from that.

gr4z
Jul 22, 2011, 08:24 AM
What sort of partition would I setup using Partition Magic? Once SL/Lion is installed how would I then re-install bootcamp and restore my Windows partition? Thanks

mantisimo
Jul 23, 2011, 04:28 AM
At the moment your hard disk is 100% windows. You need to create a partition, somewhere to store SL/Lion. So you'll need to run partition magic to create a partition with the hard disk space that you want for lion. For example 50% of the harddisk space, or 128gb's if you have a 256gb harddisk.

Run the SL installation cd and select the 128gb partition to install into. You wont need to worry about bootcamp because bootcamp is the same as partition magic only its a mac program. It does the same job of partitioning the hard drive.

gr4z
Jul 27, 2011, 08:26 AM
So just creating a new partition with PM and then installing Snow Leopard with the DVD onto this new partition will not blow away W7?