Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kuray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
In SL, it allows me to put Apps from Application folder to Utilities folder and put some apps from Utilities folder to sub-folder in Utilities.

When I try it with Lion, it just copy the application.

Now, my Application folder looks dirty with unused apps such as Chess, Font Book etc.

Toucansma

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2001
In SL, it allows me to put Apps from Application folder to Utilities folder and put some apps from Utilities folder to sub-folder in Utilities.

When I try it with Lion, it just copy the application.

Now, my Application folder looks dirty with unused apps such as Chess, Font Book etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
My Application folder become useless. Looks crowded
That's the hyperbole of the day right there. Care to elaborate how your applications folder is "useless" or if organization is so important to you why Chess belongs in your Utilities folder?

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
I think Apple is trying to tell you to use Launch Pad.

Forget about your Application folder, just use Launch Pad, you can have the first desktop with just your most used applications, then put everything else in a folder on the second desktop, organize however you want it to look.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
By default you create aliases when moving the applications, and cmd + move creates a copy. Standard Apple apps can't be deleted or moved for security reasons I guess, and to prevent people from messing things up (I know enough people who delete all sorts of standard apps by just dragging stuff around without knowing what they're doing).

What kind of permissions do you have when you cmd + i on an Apple app? Perhaps adding read & write for your own account will allow you to move it, instead of just copying it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.