Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Update: Please submit your original results using the form and edit your original post to reflect that you have done so, I will try to do a manual count later on.

There seems to be confusion regarding ssd speed variances between models, let's solve it by sharing our builds. Please bear in mind that one is not necessarily lesser, we don't have data to confirm such a judgment.

Use the newly made google form HERE by slackie to submit results

Results can be seen HERE

SSD Identification

-Applications > Utilities > System Profiler /click on the apple to the top left > about this mac > more info
-Find Serial-Ata on the left bar about 15 items down
-Post what's written on your device tree to the right under intel 6

example: 11" - TS128C

Display Identification

-open terminal
-paste 'ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6' (without quotes)
-the first line is your display model

example: 13" ultimate - LTH133BT01A01

Last edited:

housecat

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
Elsewhere in the forum someone confirmed that their 256 was a Toshiba. Another person claims their 128 is a Samsung. Weird stuff.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
Elsewhere in the forum someone confirmed that their 256 was a Toshiba. Another person claims their 128 is a Samsung. Weird stuff.

It's the same as with MBA 2010. All models can be equipped with Samsung or Toshiba SSDs. While the Samung is slightly faster in benchmarks, in real world they perform very similar.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
To replace the SSD with another brand half way through it's life cycle is one thing, but I don't want to buy a 2011 MBA and play Russian Roulette in hope of getting a better SSD.

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
that's the idea, now if more people post, we might be able to figure out something.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Been seeing Toshiba everywhere, if I have time today I'm going to Apple store and checking every display model. Would really like to get the Samsung.

rabid snake

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
I have the MBA 11" (1.6 ghz i5, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM).

My SSD: APPLE SSD SM128C
My Display: 9CF3

Anyone know what manufacture my display is made by?

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Could it be that its just completely random what you get? It would seem that the Laptopmag's review got a Toshiba in their 11 inch model and Samsung in their 13 inch.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
This is actually a serious issue because I'm sure people will buy a new MBA, check to see if its Samsung, and if not return it during the 14 day return time and turn around and buy another.

Why would you NOT want to get the best components for your shiny new MBA?

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
I have the MBA 11" (1.6 ghz i5, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM).

My SSD: APPLE SSD SM128C
My Display: 9CF3

Anyone know what manufacture my display is made by?

LG seems to ring a bell for that particular display.

If you've ever got a Samsung display before you'll be able to tell the difference. If not, then you have nothing to compare it to, so all is good :)

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
This is actually a serious issue because I'm sure people will buy a new MBA, check to see if its Samsung, and if not return it during the 14 day return time and turn around and buy another.

You might be right. However me personally I would much rather be happy with a perfect laptop with no dead pixels and that is dead silent. Even if I had a toshiba drive.

Tootles

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
To replace the SSD with another brand half way through it's life cycle is one thing, but I don't want to buy a 2011 MBA and play Russian Roulette in hope of getting a better SSD.

I'm not following what you said. Are you implying that Apple decided to solder-in the SSD of the 2011 MBA after all? Or is there anything else stopping someone from self-replacing the SSD after purchase?

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
13" base model:

SSD: SM128C

Display: LP133WP1-TJA3

So then Samsung SSD and LG-Phillips display

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

Who would go through such a hassle? You could repeat that process over and over, and if you've been waiting forever for the Air then that's not going to be helpful. Just ordering the ultimate is fine for most of us.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Who would go through such a hassle? You could repeat that process over and over, and if you've been waiting forever for the Air then that's not going to be helpful. Just ordering the ultimate is fine for most of us.

If you are spending 2k on a laptop after tax and applecare, it better have the parts you want. Apple putting in the older and slower Toshiba drives in some models would make me want to return it. I'm giving you a ton of money for not that much power at least be decent enough to give me the better drive or standardize the cheaper drive.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I'm not following what you said. Are you implying that Apple decided to solder-in the SSD of the 2011 MBA after all? Or is there anything else stopping someone from self-replacing the SSD after purchase?

Mid way through the 2010 MBA life cycle Apple replaced the Toshiba SSD with a Samsung SSD which was faster then the Toshiba one. They never told anyone. Now the 2011 models have a mix of the two and as you can see with the benchmarks one has a decent speed increase over the other.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
LG seems to ring a bell for that particular display.

If you've ever got a Samsung display before you'll be able to tell the difference. If not, then you have nothing to compare it to, so all is good :)

Which display would be considered the best?

Kehletten

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
Denmark
OK, so I get the point with the Samsung drives VS. the Toshiba ones.

But what is it with the different displays ?? Which is the best, and what are the build number for the best one ? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.