Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
London
I had planned to get a 12" PB Superdrive but just spotted a bit of a bargain.
15" PB 1.33ghz Combo for £1049

Thats £150 less than the new 12" Superdrive.

Would you be willing to sacrifice the DVD writer and speed bump for the screen size. Do the older 15" PB Combos still come with the fancy lit up kb and gigabit ethernet? Is it possible to upgrade to DVD writer sometime in the future?

Whichever I get I'd hve to buy another 512mb so memory isn't really an issue.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I can't remember if that one comes with a lit up keayboard. I mean, if thats teh higher end model of the powerbook 15" it should come with the lit up keayboard, but since there is no superdrive it probably doesn't. Only the superdrive models come standard with the keyboard. It's up to you on weather you think it's a better deal with the bigger screen. I would try and go fro atleast a 1.5 pb, but it seems like you would be happy with it.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
JzzTrump22 said:
I can't remember if that one comes with a lit up keayboard. I mean, if thats teh higher end model of the powerbook 15" it should come with the lit up keayboard, but since there is no superdrive it probably doesn't. Only the superdrive models come standard with the keyboard. It's up to you on weather you think it's a better deal with the bigger screen. I would try and go fro atleast a 1.5 pb, but it seems like you would be happy with it.

Your incorrect about the Backlit keyboards..
Only the 1Ghz Aluminum Powerbook did not have the Backlit keyboard.. all other Aluminum 15" had backlit keyboards..

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
ericssonboi said:
Your incorrect about the Backlit keyboards..
Only the 1Ghz Aluminum Powerbook did not have the Backlit keyboard.. all other Aluminum 15" had backlit keyboards..

That's not right. Only the Alumi 1.33 GHz SuperDrive models of the 15.2 inch and up had backlit keyboards standard. I know, I have the combo drive model and it's such a nice machine but then, I rarely look at the keyboard, so I don't need the keyboard backlight.

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
The ComboDrive Rev C 1.33ghz 15" did not have one either. They added the the backlit keyboard to all 15" models with Rev D (the present models).

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
London
bousozoku said:
That's not right. Only the Alumi 1.33 GHz SuperDrive models of the 15.2 inch and up had backlit keyboards standard. I know, I have the combo drive model and it's such a nice machine but then, I rarely look at the keyboard, so I don't need the keyboard backlight.

So its standard, not an available upgrade.

Lets put it this way, I have a budget of around £1250. That has to include the necessary memory upgrade to 768mb and a wireless ADSL modem, something like a Belkin or Linksys that has rj-11 in, 4 port Ethernet and 802.11g.

Basically I'm forced to look at the bargain basement - refurbed models or slightly ealier revisions. I'm also keeping an eye on the new 14" iBook but would prefer a PB. This will be the first (hopefully of many) Mac I buy though I have used Macs alot at work so this doesn't have to be the be all and end all of computers, I expect I'll replace it in about 2 years.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
kerpow said:
So its standard, not an available upgrade.

Lets put it this way, I have a budget of around £1250. That has to include the necessary memory upgrade to 768mb and a wireless ADSL modem, something like a Belkin or Linksys that has rj-11 in, 4 port Ethernet and 802.11g.

Basically I'm forced to look at the bargain basement - refurbed models or slightly ealier revisions. I'm also keeping an eye on the new 14" iBook but would prefer a PB. This will be the first (hopefully of many) Mac I buy though I have used Macs alot at work so this doesn't have to be the be all and end all of computers, I expect I'll replace it in about 2 years.

Mine is refurbished. It's actually a way to get a more reliable machine, in my opinion, because it's already had a problem and been double-checked.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
bousozoku said:

glad you clarified. there's so much misinformation on these threads.
users should consult everymac.com to validate feature sets before posting and causing further confusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.