Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rich_cameraguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
Washington, DC
I installed both Verax fan kits on my dual 1 gig G4 in the hope of quieting it down. It's a lot quieter now. But when I was done the two USB ports on my 17 inch flat monitor quit working. I've tried zapping the PRAM, rebuilding the desktop, safe boot, Apple hardware test, repair disk permissions. I think I must of screwed up the hardware somehow. I've looked back inside and don't see anything that looks out of place.

Are there any ideas out there?

Rich

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
If you put the old fans back, do the USB ports start working again? Seems odd to have such a specific problem when installing nothing but new fans.

rich_cameraguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
Washington, DC
Jigglelicious said:
If you put the old fans back, do the USB ports start working again? Seems odd to have such a specific problem when installing nothing but new fans.

It's just too hard to put the old fans back in. All the drives have to come out as well as the Super Drive and the power supply has to be removed. I was in over my hear in the first place. I can't really bring myself to do it. Although I would be curious if it would solve the problem. Thanks for the input.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Verax M10 + M11, right? Same kits went into my G4... took me a while and was a little tricky. Worth every penny, though.

Don't even consider putting all the old fans back. The power supply and its cabling is a right pain.

There's bound to be another solution to this although it escapes me quite what it could be...

How are the other USB ports on the Mac?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
It is a power problem with your usb. my guess is that you new fans draw a little more power, and your usb draws power. however, the usb don't try power until you plug in a device. so hooking up the usb to your 17" monitor was probably to much of a power draw i.e. there wasn't enough power that power supply could give to your usb to power the usb in the monitor. however, my theory could be squashed because if the usb hub in the monitor is powered, my theory is moot. The reason why i say it, is because in general when there is an overdraw of power usually 3 things happen: computer reboots randomly, fans stop working, or usb devices start acting weird. power problems are hard to figure out.

try the usb on them monitor with another computer make sure they work, and the cable. a solution would be to get a powered usb hub. dlink and adaptec both carry ones that are quite stylish imho, and plug your mac into the power hub, and the monitor usb int he hub.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
fans would not make the usb powers work from lack of power, the MDD g5 had a 450w psu that can take four pci cards that draw power 2 optical drives, the aux power connector for a 9800 pro or the extra power it's extra powered agp slot provides for the 9700 pro OEM, and provide headroom for 2GB ram and dual 1.4GHz cpu's, somehow i doubt that a couple of fans would push it over an stop the usb parts working, if it was over stretched the voltage across all the lines would drop, thus the cpu would be under powered and kernel panic, drives would get read write errors and everything would plain not work, no it is not a power issue.

it could be:

1) completely unrelated and the usb hub in your monitor just failed, test it with another mac to see

2) when you plauged the (i assume) ADC connector back in only one side latched and the usb pins did not connect properly

3) while inside your mac you somehow shorted out something along the line, which i doubt.

rich_cameraguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
Washington, DC
Thanks so uch for all the imput. The two USB Ports on the back of the G4 work fine, One (the top one) is for my kepboard (which has the mouse on one side and my iMic on the other) The other is connected to a hub that has my printer and scanner (on a 15 meter cord) across the office. I've had this set up for about a year and has worked great. I installed both the M10 and M11 kits (knocked the noise down by 70 or 80 percent. Very happy with the product --$300. a little steep but worth it) when fired back up the two USB Ports on the back of the 17 inch flat screen didn't work. I use them for my Sony USB Memory Stick Reader/Writer and my 3.5 inch 'floopy' drive. (Which really never get used any more) I've re-check the power supply connection to the mother board--seems fine. Don't know. Not a big deal but I was a little worried about when I sell it (want a G5). I don't have another Mac to test the monitor on but I'll try to locate one. Thanks again.

Richard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.