PDA

View Full Version : Setup Advice: Macbook Air Docking Station

classicaliberal
Jul 21, 2011, 08:09 AM
Right now, I have two machines. A 2 year old 24" iMac and a 1 year old 13" Macbook Air. I got the iMac for one reason... I needed storage. It has upwards of 750GB of iTunes content and 750GB of iMovie content plus some iPhoto, etc.

What I'm considering is an all Macbook Air solution. One Air for me, one for my wife. Then, we would have one central docking station where there is one (or two) Apple Displays connected via thunderbolt to which a couple of HD's are attached. One for iMovie/iPhoto and one for iTunes. The Air itself would house everything else (small files) such as documents, games, etc.

The biggest problem with this I suppose is that I would completely lose access to the movies/music when the Air was unattached. Then again, I can't take my iMac anywhere anyway, so really I wouldn't be losing anything, just gaining the ability to take the laptop with me occasionally.

The last question is whether or not the Air is fast enough for video editing, etc. which I do quite a bit of on my iMac. (2.8ghz core 2 duo)

Any advice would be much appreciated! Is this a good setup, or should I stick with my iMac?

Xgm541
Jul 21, 2011, 08:28 AM
i have this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149191

it doesnt require an external power source and is fairy fast. Set up a backup to your external hard drive of anything you want to be synced. Its easy to carry in a spare pocket in your carrying case.

yes the new macbook air's have higher processing capabilities than your imac, but you mentioned an older version of the 13 inch which is not as good, but still fully capable.