Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Where is the Frontrow replacement? I tried using my Apple Remote to search for a movie to watch and.....NOTHING! What good is the remote now??? I specifically use my Mini as an HTPC and now I can't easily search and play movies using just the remote?? :(:mad::(:mad:

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
I have tried Boxee, Plex and XMBC in preparation for this moment (and also I was toying with the idea of replacing my ATV2 with a Mac Mini)... in my opinion, none of them are as slick as the ATV or FrontRow interface - not that I'm saying those themselves are perfect (e.g. navigating huge video libraries).
So still waiting for a suitable replacement.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Have tried Plex, but it just didn't compare to to the simplicity of FrontRow. Really would've liked an Apple solution or for them to have just kept FrontRow.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

iAmYou said:
You can reinstall on top of lion IF you saved the right files from snow leopard.

And you have not upgraded to iTunes 10.4

Please confirm. Front Row will function in SL using all versions of iTunes including 10.4 and subsequent releases, but will only function in Lion is appropriate SL files are copied AND iTunes is 10.3 and no higher?

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Please confirm. Front Row will function in SL using all versions of iTunes including 10.4 and subsequent releases, but will only function in Lion is appropriate SL files are copied AND iTunes is 10.3 and no higher?

Front Row 2.2.1 (SL) still works under Lion with iTunes 10.4, but iTunes integration is lost. In other words, Front Row sees all your photos, movie trailers, iTunes top movies, etc., but it won't see your music. If you keep iTunes 10.3, Front Row will work exactly the same as it used under Snow Leopard.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Front Row 2.2.1 (SL) still works under Lion with iTunes 10.4, but iTunes integration is lost. In other words, Front Row sees all your photos, movie trailers, iTunes top movies, etc., but it won't see your music. If you keep iTunes 10.3, Front Row will work exactly the same as it used under Snow Leopard.

When you say music, you also mean TV and Movies as well obviously? And as long as I stick with SL, iTunes updates won't impact Front Row? I didn't know if future updates for iTunes would be Lion only or if SL would continue to receive updates to be compatible with 5.0, etc. Front Row is my priority, so if I can stay with SL and have iTunes continue to update normally, that'd be ideal.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
When you say music, you also mean TV and Movies as well obviously?
That's right. Everything included in your iTunes library, whose xml format has been altered after iTunes 10.4.

And as long as I stick with SL, iTunes updates won't impact Front Row?
Front Row on Snow Leopard will lose its links to iTunes if you upgrade to iTunes 10.4. There's no incompatibility between Front Row and Lion. It works exactly the same as on Snow Leopard. The incompatibility is with iTunes 10.4 (whether on Lion or Snow Leopard) and Front Row.

I didn't know if future updates for iTunes would be Lion only or if SL would continue to receive updates to be compatible with 5.0, etc. Front Row is my priority, so if I can stay with SL and have iTunes continue to update normally, that'd be ideal.

If you don't upgrade to iTunes 10.4 (which brings full screen under Lion), Front Row will continue to work just fine under both Lion and Snow Leopard, and it will see your entire iTunes library if it's 10.3 or below.

I've just read about the existence of a purported "Front Row 2.3", which is related to AppleTV. I don't know for certain, because I don't have one and it's a long time since I last saw a demo. If AppleTV does some of the things Front Row does on a Mac, I suppose iTunes 10.4 must have broken AppleTV integration with the iTunes library. If so, I'm convinced that Apple will release a new software version (Front Row 2.4?) in a few days that perhaps can be used to tweak our copies of Front Row 2.2.1 so they'll run with iTunes 10.4. Another possibility would be for Apple to release a Front Row update for iTunes 10.4.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
You can re-enable it with this.

This will install Front Row on Lion, which will work fine with iTunes 10.3, but will lose its integration with iTunes 10.4 and above.

PS The above musings about iTunes 10.4 possibly breaking AppleTV integration are probably wrong. It appears AppleTV and iTunes have a radically different relationship with one another as compared to the one shared by iTunes and Front Row. In both cases, iTunes would work as a "server" of information, but, in the case of AppleTV, iTunes would be a very "active" server, whereas in the case of Front Row it would be a more passive one.

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I really only used front row for movie trailers and nothing else. I guess I can go online but it was nice to have an app for that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.