Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
Ive had this Ipad2 since launch...very OCD with it, full cases, no drops,no spills etc.....woke up this morning to check the news and nothing....its dead...battery had plenty of charge before I went to bed, have it plugged in now and still nothing...anyone else just have one brick on them for no reason?

Calling Apple when I get some time today and we'll see...

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
They'll either replace it or get it working for you again. I wouldn't spend 1 second worrying about it. They have terrific customer service.

a8ball

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
You can try, if you haven't already, holding down the home and sleep buttons together for about 10-15 seconds to force it to do a hard shutdown ( you usually can see the screen flicker a bit ) then hold in sleep button on top for a second to see if it will start back up.

classicalbear

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Same thing happened to me with my iPod Touch, after 1.5 year. Thank God I had an AppleCare. Went to the Applestore. They looked at it. Got a new one right away. So don't worry.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
You can try, if you haven't already, holding down the home and sleep buttons together for about 10-15 seconds to force it to do a hard shutdown ( you usually can see the screen flicker a bit ) then hold in sleep button on top for a second to see if it will start back up.

That worked !!!! Thanks...I had held both buttons down individually but not together, wasn't aware of that.

Little gremlins I suppose...

Thanks again

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
That worked !!!! Thanks...I had held both buttons down individually but not together, wasn't aware of that.

Little gremlins I suppose...

Thanks again

I would still get it checked out just in case though, bc it may happen again and plus, wouldn't you want a new iPad 2?

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I would still get it checked out just in case though, bc it may happen again and plus, wouldn't you want a new iPad 2?

I wouldn't bother unless it becomes a problem. While crashing should not be a regular occurrence, any software will have small bugs that can lock things up.

If he has taken care of the device, why exchange it for a new one?

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
Well this Ipad2 also has bad backlight bleeding, which Im holding out to see if this ever gets corrected or addressed before I try to exchange, therefore as long as its working I'll still hold off til later as i will be exchanging eventually anyway.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2008
I had a iPhone do that and i brought it in to the Apple store. He hooked it up to his computer and got it running and then closed the way too many open program that I had and problem solved. Close those programs every day or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.