Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I have a handful of .MP4 Quicktime files that imported just fine into iTunes in Snow Leopard. I clean installed Lion last night and manually added my files back one by one from my Time Capsule. When trying to drag and drop my movies into iTunes, some would import and some wouldn't. These files weren't purchased on iTunes...just ripped HD movie files in .MP4 format.

Again, all of these files were in my Snow Leopard version of iTunes. Any idea why they won't import to iTunes in Lion? They play just fine in Quicktime X.:confused:

tdsmth

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
After reading your post, I registered to say I'm having the same issue. Though, I upgraded instead of a clean install, so all of my mp4 files were still in iTunes. Reading your post made me curious, since I hadn't even thought to check, so I just clicked on a couple of mp4 files in iTunes to try and get them to play and got this message:

"This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes."

iTunes doesn't support Quicktime now? Are you kidding me? Is Apple really going to disable playing anything but iTunes Store downloaded movie files? This is obviously a decision made and not just some bug.

Does anyone have any idea if there's anything that can be done? Granted, I/we can always just drag the movie file to the desktop and play it via Quicktime, but that defeats the whole purpose of having all my movies conveniently together in iTunes. Unbelievable...

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Hmmm, this is strange though because some of my .MP4 movies imported and some didn't even though they were all created the same way (exported from EyeTV software to iTunes). It's very weird:confused:

Anyone else have any idea how to get these into iTunes? These are huge HD movie files so really don't want to have to import to iMovie or anything (10+GB files).

tdsmth

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Just changed iTunes to 32 bit and all files play just fine now.

As for QTX, mp4 files play just fine in that as well.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I did reinstall Flip4Mac, but not Perian yet. How could Flip4Mac be preventing me from importing .MP4 files to 64-bit iTunes? I don't get how the two are related. I thought Flip4Mac just installs a Quicktime plugin to play WMV content.

Are you saying that once Flip4Mac and Perian make 10.7 updates, I may then be able to import these .MP4's to iTunes?:confused:

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Also - Anyone experiencing audio issues playing back videos in 64-bit iTunes? Some of my movies that were able to import have the audio/voice a few seconds off with the video. :mad:

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Tried converting these .MP4's to different formats with SmartConverter in the App Store. They still won't go into iTunes. So weird...:(

vernehenzel

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
Optimized MP4 File

Late to the party, but I had this problem today. I made an MP4 from an MOV in OpenShiiva on a Snow Leopard Mac and it would not play in QuickTime on a Lion Mac. I went back and selected the "Optimize MP4 File" option and it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.