Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjay80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
the purpose of the use is mainly as a HTPC.
I will be connecting to a Samsung 50 inch HDTV, stream movies via online(netflix, youtube, Hulu, etc.), web surfing, play movie files(720p format mostly, and 1080p time to time), and play casual games.
I think an entry model works for me, but i am wondering if $799 model is gonna perform significantly better for my usuage.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
the purpose of the use is mainly as a HTPC.
I will be connecting to a Samsung 50 inch HDTV, stream movies via online(netflix, youtube, Hulu, etc.), web surfing, play movie files(720p format mostly, and 1080p time to time), and play casual games.
I think an entry model works for me, but i am wondering if $799 model is gonna perform significantly better for my usuage.

I am wondering as well. I won't be using it for any games, mostly itunes server, iphoto, imovies and using plext for 1080p streaming and will be on 24/7.

I don't really care about the 2.3 vs. 2.5Ghz cpu. Will be HD 3000 be up to the task with no lag or the AMD 6630m be overkill. Also, what about the heat since it'll be on 24/7?

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire
From what I have been reading, the base model with the HD3000 graphics will be more than enough to handle all the above. PLEX in particular should have no issues running multiple 1080p streams on the new hardware.

kjay80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
would i be able to play new games, like portal2?
i dont mean it at the max setting.
just enough to play without any lag?

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire
Big difference between "casual gaming" and Portal 2 at acceptable frame rates in my opinion. I wouldn't risk it. Go for the 6630m if you think you are going to be playing Portal 2 level games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.