Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Do Apple retail stores still charge restocking fees on open box items?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
no restocking fees. At least presently.

I don't see how they can do this, as people can abuse this sort of thing like crazy; FREE 14 day rental!!

Frankly, it makes bying really easy on the nerves :D

Last edited:

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
no restocking fees. At least presently.

I don't see how they can do this, as people can abuse this sort of thing like crazy; FREE 60 day rental!!

Frankly, it makes bying really easy on the nerves :D

60 day? I thought it was 14?

usman.rz

macrumors member
May 15, 2010
Cool. Anybody ever try it out?

Yep, I returned a pair of opened in-ear headphones once, a SuperDrive, both for good reason. I also exchanged my 10 day old 2010 MacBook Air with the new model this morning but not sure if that one counts.

tungo529

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
I was told that they had done away with restocking fees months ago, when I went in for work done to my mom's 13" MBP.

Good part on Apple.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
It is 14. I imagine if you do it a lot they will eventually blacklist you.

Right.

I remember this happened to somebody using Amazon. Seems he was returning a lot of laptops.

Some people return them over and over in an attempt to find perfection.

Now this new policy encourages that. I don't know how many people do this, but going from this forum alone, they (Apple) may have a problem :D

smeade

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
Off topic just slightly: like in stores, there is no restocking fee for online orders either. Apple even refunds your shipping (if you paid for expedited shipping) and pays the FedEx 2-day return shipping (at least that's been my experience in the U.S.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.