Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kain125

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Ok so heres the story. Yesterday I went to the Apple store to see if they were in stock, but sadly no. But I did get the chance to try lion on the 2010 MBA. And it ran...ok. Safari was much faster on the 11 inch than on snow leopard, but switching between apps (and getting to the dashboard) was always a bit laggy and not the smoothest, but overall did make the MBA's better imo

But then I went back today and had the new ones on display, and holy shitis all I can say.

You might have though they were snappy before, but seriously it's somewhat unfair how fast these things are. Everything was so smooth like butter, switching between apps was flawless, doing to mission control had no lag whatsoever. Opening apps was also very VERY fast. You know when the apps bounch while they were opening? Not even one bounce and they were open. And i did that for every app in the dock.

Idk i cant wait to get mine soon when I have the cash. Just playing with them today and the 2010's yesterday I would say it's definitely worth the upgrade

(Also editing in Aperture/iPhoto with adjustments and whatnot was leaps and bounds better on the 2011)

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
The 2010 models you were trying had only 2 gigs of RAM across the board. I would bet the 2011 MBA models had 4 gigs of RAM which would explain the majority of the lag. It's the reason why the MBP floor models were upgraded to 4 gigs in early July.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
The 2010 models you were trying had only 2 gigs of RAM across the board. I would bet the 2011 MBA models had 4 gigs of RAM which would explain the majority of the lag. It's the reason why the MBP floor models were upgraded to 4 gigs in early July.

How do you know they only had 2 gigs of ram?

kain125

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
How did the new 11" and 13" compare to each other for you?

While both were very smooth and snappy doing regular things like browsing and appswitching and whatnot, I noticed the 13'' being just a LITTLE smoother, but only the slightest bit. I honestly still dont know which one i want to get. But editing stuff in iPhoto as i said both performed exactly the same

mscofield

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
While both were very smooth and snappy doing regular things like browsing and appswitching and whatnot, I noticed the 13'' being just a LITTLE smoother, but only the slightest bit. I honestly still dont know which one i want to get. But editing stuff in iPhoto as i said both performed exactly the same

Do you know if these were the two base models or had similar specs?
If they were both base models, i could understand the slight difference (2gb/4gb. processor)

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
How do you know they only had 2 gigs of ram?

Well the Apple stores didn't carry models with 4 gigs of RAM, you had to order those online. It's easy to assume they wouldn't just order some to showcase on the floor, especially since all people use the machines for (in house) is facebook, safari, iTunes, and Photobooth or whatever.

I'm going for the 13 inch for one reason only: 2 extra hours of battery life. As a college student living off campus, I know I won't be able to find a port on school grounds every time I need one.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Well the Apple stores didn't carry models with 4 gigs of RAM, you had to order those online. It's easy to assume they wouldn't just order some to showcase on the floor, especially since all people use the machines for (in house) is facebook, safari, iTunes, and Photobooth or whatever.

False. I bought my 2010 13" MBA from the Apple Store with 4gb of ram. Where are you getting your info?

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
False. I bought my 2010 13" MBA from the Apple Store with 4gb of ram. Where are you getting your info?

Ah, let me specify: MOST stores didn't as it was strictly BTO; you had to order it online to get the model.

That's what they're saying about this one, but alas, I called one down in Orlando and they have every single model in store, ready to sell. I guess I should have made the statement that I was obviously assuming and there are always outliers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.